A Healthy New Year
By Abbey Lichten, MPH, CHESHealth and Wellness December 26, 2012
• Never go to a party on an empty stomach. Before you hit the road, fill up on a healthy, low-calorie, high fiber and protein-rich snack such as Greek yogurt with a few berries and slivered almonds or a low-calorie, high fiber oatmeal. This will help you practice better self control later.
• Enlist reinforcements. Find a friend who is also watching his/her calories and stick together.
• Go in with a game plan. Identify one or two splurges ahead of time.
• Swap high calorie ingredients for lower calorie ones -use low-fat cheese, sour cream, mayo or greek yogurt instead of the full fat versions.
• Bring a lower calorie appetizer to the party so that you know you will have at least one healthy option to enjoy.
• Load up on fruits and vegetables.
• Use a small plate and fill it just once.
• Try and stand away from the food table.
• Occupy one hand with a calorie-free drink.
• It’s okay to say no to second helpings.
• Pour responsibility and drink moderately. Alcoholic beverages not only have empty calories but they also lower willpower. Limit your intake and make sure you stay hydrated with calorie-free, non-alcoholic beverages.
For more healthy holiday tips, contact the health education team at 312.926.LINK.