Happy 15th Anniversary to Feinberg/Galter Pavilions
By Julie BruhnNews May 01, 2014
15 Fun Facts about Feinberg/Galter:
- “Caring for Today, Building for Tomorrow” was the slogan of the 1989-95 fundraising campaign for the new Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
- A jar filled with pre-Chicago Fire sand from Streeterville construction site was the symbolic gift that was presented to guests at the groundbreaking ceremony in October 1994.
- 5,000 construction jobs were created between 1994 and 1999 for the Redevelopment Project.
- Enough concrete was used in the building of Galter and Feinberg Pavilions to construct a sidewalk from Chicago to Minneapolis.
- More than $1 million in construction projects went to women and minority-owned businesses.
- Galter and Feinberg Pavilions featured 44 elevators, more than the Otis Elevator Company had ever installed in one project.
- As part of the Topping Out ceremony in October 1996, guests were invited to autograph the ceremonial beam before it was lifted to the top of building.
- 8 grand opening events were scheduled to accommodate groups involved with the new hospital.
- Natalie Cole was the musical performer at the Black Tie Gala Event for major donors to the new hospital.
- The keynote address for the hospital’s dedication ceremony was given by First Lady Hillary Clinton.
- Move Day was May 1, 1999. It took 4 hours to transfer 248 patients from Wesley, Passavant and Olson Pavilions to Feinberg Pavilion.
- 12. 61 patient transport move teams participated is escorting patients to their new rooms.
- The first patients moved into the new hospital each received a welcoming gift of a Fleece blanket with our name and logo stitched on
- In the 14-day period following patient move, 88 hospital departments were relocated. As a result of the move, 85,000 pieces of office furniture were moved into Feinberg and Galter Pavilions.
- Within 2 months of moving into Galter and Feinberg Pavilions the 908 telephone prefix was phased out at the hospital.