Giving the Right Balance to Life
At 78 years old, one of Jim Motsch’s favorite activities is to play baseball with his grandson. When he started experiencing issues with his balance, simple hobbies like playing catch became difficult and unsafe. "I had a hard time with the day-to-day activities,” said Motsch. “Getting up after gardening was a challenge, and I couldn’t keep steady when I closed my eyes to wash my face in the morning.”
Thanks to physical therapy sessions at Northwestern Medicine Delnor Health and Fitness Center, Motsch is now back on the baseball field. And when he came close to a fall recently while playing baseball with his grandson at a local park, his time in physical therapy helped keep him stable.
Looking back on his time at Delnor Health and Fitness Center, Motsch said, “Once I started physical therapy, the improvements were noticeable as each week passed. My leg strength and ability to balance now give me the confidence to enjoy everyday life again.”
Motsch’s journey to strength and stability highlights the importance of falls prevention awareness. Simple steps and information can help individuals remain safe to avoid health setbacks related to a fall.
On Thursday, September 22, Northwestern Medicine will host its third annual Falls Prevention Awareness Day. The system-wide event highlights Northwestern Medicine expertise and resources for patients and local communities. There will be information and screening booths at nine different Northwestern Medicine locations around Chicagoland. Employees, patients and members of the community are encouraged to attend.
Booths open from 10 am–2 pm:
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital—Arkes Family Pavilion, second floor and Prentice Women’s Hospital, second floor
- Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital—Outpatient Services lobby (outside of Walgreens)
- Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital—South Entrance atrium (outside cafeteria)
- Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital—Roberts Conference Center, Rooms 1 and 2
- KishHealth System Physician Group—1850 Gateway Drive, Sycamore, Main lobby
- Northwestern Medicine Valley West Hospital—Main lobby
- Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital—Health Education Center, Room A
- Northwestern Medicine Grayslake Outpatient Center—Main lobby
- Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital—Inpatient Hospital (near cafeteria)
Learn more about the Northwestern Medicine Delnor Health and Fitness Center.