Women's Cardiovascular Health Symposium Focuses on Latest Treatments
By Kara SpakCardiology January 29, 2014
“Heart disease remains the number one killer of American women, and nearly one in two women are at risk for cardiovascular disease over their lifetime,” said Marla Mendelson, MD, cardiologist and medical director of the Program for Women’s Cardiovascular Health at Northwestern’s Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute. “Our hope with our 2014 seminar is to empower women and those who treat them with the latest advances in the field.”
Joining leading Northwestern Medicine experts at the event is keynote speaker C. Noel Bairey Merz, MD, director of the Barbra Streisand Women’s Heart Center at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. Merz will be speaking on “Gender Difference in Cardiovascular Disease.”
Other conference topics include
- Reducing Your Risk of Heart Disease and Stroke — Ranya N. Sweis, MD, MS, interventional cardiology
- Stroke: What You Need to Know — Shyam Prabhakaran, MD, neurology
- An Inside Look at the Physician/Patient Experience — Marla Mendelson, MD, medical director of the Program for Women’s Cardiovascular Health, and Vera Rigolin, MD, associate medical director of the Program for Women's Cardiovascular Health of the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute
- Relaxation Techniques and the Heart Healthy Benefit — Kim Feingold, PhD, founder and director of the Cardiac Behavioral Medicine Service of the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute
- Life's Simple Seven to Protect Your Heart — Clyde Yancy, MD, chief of cardiology, Northwestern Memorial Hospital and associate director, Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute
Northwestern's Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute was ranked the 12th cardiology and heart surgery program in the United States and first in Chicago, Illinois and the Midwest by the 2013-14 U.S. News & World Report “Best Hospitals” report.
Northwestern Medicine is the shared vision that joins Northwestern Memorial HealthCare and Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in a collaborative effort to transform medicine through quality healthcare, academic excellence and scientific discovery.
Learn more information about heart care at Northwestern Memorial Hospital or connect with us on Facebook. To schedule an appointment please call (312) NMHEART(664.3278).