Our approach to cancer care
At Northwestern Medicine, we put our patients first in an effort to deliver the best cancer care. Treating more than 10,000 new cancer cases each year, our teams of experts are here to help support patients and their caregivers during all stages of their cancer journey:
Northwestern Medicine’s cancer centers provide access to state-of-the art therapies and comprehensive cancer care offering leading-edge medical, surgical and radiation oncology treatment options, as well as access to specialized research, clinical trials and diagnostic services.
Working in partnership with Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, Northwestern Memorial Hospital is proud to be ranked as one of the top 16 cancer programs in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
- Northwestern Memorial is ranked No. 1 in the Chicago metro region and Illinois for the sixth consecutive year, with 11 of its clinical specialties nationally ranked and four in the top 10.
In addition the Lurie Cancer Center is:
One of only 48 National Cancer Institutes* (NCI)-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the nation. NCI is one of the anchors in the nation’s cancer research efforts to fight cancer.
A founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN)* an alliance of 27 of the world’s leading cancer centers dedicated to quality, effectiveness, and efficiency of cancer care so that patients can live better lives.
For more information or to schedule an appointment at the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, call 312.694.6037.
Cancer Care Across Chicago
Northwestern Medicine’s cancer care centers in downtown Chicago, the western and northern suburbs bring multidisciplinary, board-certified surgical, radiation and medical oncologists together to patients with cancer. Highly specialized cancer care teams bring clinical expertise and leading research to patients throughout Chicago.
- Second Opinion
- Cancer Staging: What Is It?
- Types of Cancer Treatment
- Cancer Research and Clinical Trials
- Supportive Oncology
For more information or to request an appointment at the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, call 312.694.6037.
For more information or to request an appointment in the western suburbs, contact the Northwestern Medicine Regional Medical Group at 630.232.0610 (Geneva) or 630.352.5450 (Warrenville).
For more information or to request an appointment in Greater DeKalb County, contact the Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital Cancer Center at 815.756.5255, Northwestern Medicine Valley West Hospital Cancer Center at 815.786.9197 or Northwestern Medicine Cancer Center Rochelle at 815.756.5255.
Northwestern Medicine uses a variety of progressive cancer treatments carefully selected for your specific type and stage of cancer. Our specialists use a personalized approach to develop a custom treatment plan that incorporates all of the potential treatments offered in every cancer discipline.
- 3-D Conformal Radiation Therapy
- Accelerated Breast Radiation Therapy
- Bland Embolization
- Deep Inspiratory Breath-Hold
- Developmental Therapeutics - Lurie Cancer Center
- Endolumenal Surgery
- Gamma Knife® Radiosurgery
- High-dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy
- Image-Guided Radiotherapy
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy
- Interventional Oncology
- Intraoperative Radiation Therapy (IORT)
- Iodine (I-131) Therapy
- Low-Dose Brachytherapy
- Microwave Ablation
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Portal Vein Embolization
- Precision Medicine
- Prostate Seed Implantation
- Proton Therapy
- Radiofrequency (RF) Ablation Procedures
- Radioimmunotherapy (RIT)
- Real Time Position Management
- Single-Incision Laparoscopic Surgery
- Total Body Irradiation (TBI)
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT)
- 2015 Cancer Annual Report - Northwestern Memorial Hospital Cancer Program
- Oncology Report to the Community - Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital and Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital
Survivors Taking Action and Responsibility (STAR) Program
- STAR Program at the Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
- STAR Program at Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University
- STAR Program Brochure