We believe that our face-to-face time is one of the most important aspects of our care so we can provide the space necessary to understand the unique physical, emotional, psychological, social, and spiritual needs of your child.
Treatment recommendations will include the most appropriate and evidence-based conventional and alternative treatment modalities that are best suited to each individual patient. These may include prevention, dietary changes, nutritional supplementation, mindful based therapies, pharmaceutical medications, and lifestyle management. If appropriate your child may be referred to our team of integrative practitioners who understand the unique approach to children and participate in ongoing education for the pediatric population. Our pediatric care services includes naturopathic medicine, massage, energy medicine, nutrition and psychology.
We encourage partnership with your child’s other health care providers, promoting the highest level of functioning for your child. We also foster your child’s innate drive and capacity for natural healing, by engaging them in the process. Being a healthy child means more than being physically fit. We hope to create customized care plans that will allow your child to live to his/her full potential!
The holistic view of integrative medicine includes the wellness of mind, body and spirit. Consultation in integrative pediatrics is not meant to replace conventional primary or specialty care.
Consultation is available for:
- General wellness and prevention consultation (ongoing pediatric primary care not available in the Osher Center)
- Targeting lifestyle elements such as nutrition, sleep, physical activity, and social support
- Gastrointestinal problems, pain, asthma and allergies, dietary concerns and other chronic medical concerns
- Some emotional, mental, or bio-behavioral problems such as anxiety, depression, or increased stress due to poor coping skills
Common reasons families seek an integrative pediatric consult:
- Patients new to integrative and complementary medicine seeking guidance
- Patients with complicated medical problems interested in reducing medications, avoiding side-effects or supplementing care
- Patients who have not achieved full relief of symptoms with conventional medicine
- Patients seeking a preventive, holistic approach to health
- Patients with an interest in preventing diseases such as obesity or diabetes, or conditions linked to chronic stress
Your First Visit
During this visit, you and your physician begin to outline how you can best work together to fulfill your health needs. Our goal is to assess your health concerns, and then address all possible factors that might be contributing to any health issues, and determine the root cause of your condition.
Your Integrative Medicine physician will meet with the family, take a detailed personal and family history, and go over your medications, supplements, diet and lifestyle. Recommendations at this time might include further investigations and therapies that span complementary and conventional Western medicine approaches.
What to Bring
- The Pediatric Health History Form (Please download and complete before your visit, or arrive 30 minutes early)
- Pertinent past medical records and diagnostic test results
- Medications and supplements in the original bottles (If possible, we appreciate a typed list of these items)
- Your questions, concerns and goals for your visit
Follow-up Integrative Medicine Visits
When instituting lifestyle changes, having regular follow-up visits supports success. These appointments allow for discussion of your experiences in trying new therapies or lifestyle changes, review of specialized testing results, and a deeper exploration of mind-body techniques, nutrition and personal issues. Your doctor will help determine the appropriate timing for your return visit. Follow-up visits are generally thirty minutes in length.
Integrative Consultant / Primary Care Collaboration
Please note: Dr. Mahadevan's role at the Osher Center for Integrative Medicine is as an integrative pediatric specialist and she does not serve as a child's primary care doctor. As such, all patients are asked to have a primary care or similar physician to provide for their ongoing healthcare needs.
Our office may assist you in locating a primary care provider at an office affiliated with our Osher Center for Integrative Medicine if needed. We are happy to provide documentation of your visits with us to your primary care provider in order to facilitate coordinated and collaborative care.