Meet the Northwestern Medicine Robotic Thoracic Surgery Team
Samuel Kim, MD, director of Robotic Thoracic Surgery, leads a team of thoracic surgeons specially trained on the da Vinci® Xi, a state-of-the-art robotic surgery system. Dr. Kim has completed more than 600 thoracic robotic operations, including:
- Benign esophageal surgery
Ankit Bharat, MD, chief of Thoracic Surgery, is a leading expert in robotic thoracic surgery:
- He performed the first successful robotic lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS) in the U.S. for a patient with emphysema.
- He performed the first robotic tracheoplasty in Illinois for disabling tracheobronchomalacia.
- He routinely performs complex reconstructions for lung cancer and re-operative surgeries with robotic technology.
- He is among the most experienced surgeons using robotic treatments of mediastinal and thymic tumors.
David Odell, MD, performs all aspects of robot-assisted thoracic surgery, including esophageal and lung surgery. He has a unique interest in esophageal diseases as well as quality improvements in robotic procedures.