Remote Second Opinion
Get a second opinion from Northwestern Medicine's top physicians, without leaving home.
If you or a loved one has been given a serious medical diagnosis or is facing a difficult treatment decision, seeking a second opinion can help you choose the best path for care. You now have access to renowned physicians at Northwestern Medicine through our Remote Second Opinion program, even if you live outside of the Chicago area.
Northwestern Medicine is anchored by Northwestern Memorial Hospital, a leading national academic medical center, and includes nine other hospitals in the Chicago area staffed by distinguished physicians. Northwestern Medicine physicians are also active scientists, and their research and clinical practices keep them at the forefront of innovative, patients-first medical care.
Our Remote Second Opinion services are powered by WorldCare International Inc., a care team that will help guide you through the entire process. Remote second opinions are available from specialists in the following fields: neurology, neurosurgery, cardiology, gastroenterology, and oncology. You can learn more about our Remote Second Opinion process on our FAQ page.
How to Get a Remote Second Opinion
- Through our remote second opinion portal, you will create an account to tell us about you. The account will allow you to closely track and follow the status of your case. If you are ready, start* here.
- Next, you will need to provide payment. Remote second opinions at Northwestern Medicine cost $800. This includes costs associated with records collections, clinical analysis of your case and consultation with Northwestern Medicine experts. We accept all major credit cards. If your case involves review of pathology samples or radiology imaging, additional fees may be added.
- A WorldCare International, Inc. Nurse Case Manager will reach out to you directly via phone or email. We will discuss your condition and the information you are seeking, and then gather your treating physician’s information, and request your treating physician’s acknowledgement. We will also obtain your medical records, including reports, pathology, and/or radiology imaging, if needed. This process may take up to a week, depending on the complexity of your case.
- After approximately 10 business days, from when we receive information from your treating physician, you will receive your remote second opinion report via the portal. As part of our policy, we will also send a copy of the report to your treating physician.
- Once you receive the report, your WorldCare International Inc. Nurse Case Manager will follow up with you to address any questions that you may have. In addition, if you would like to have an in-person follow-up with the Northwestern Medicine physician who provided your remote second opinion, our team will work with you to schedule that appointment.