Treatments for prostatitis include:
- Antibiotics: Prostatitis is generally treated with antibiotics. The type of antibiotic and the length of treatment depend on the type of bacteria causing the infection.
- Anti-inflammatories: Medication to reduce inflammation and pain may be recommended.
- Muscle relaxers: Medication that relaxes the muscles involved in urination may bring pain relief.
- Water: Increasing your intake of fluids may help flush bacteria out of the body.
- Surgery: In rare cases, surgery to remove part or all of the prostate is necessary to relieve chronic prostatitis that interferes with urination.
- Heat: Hot baths and a heating pad might provide relief.
- Prostate massage: Pressure can be relieved by releasing the fluid in the prostate with massage.