Northwestern Medicine CDH Summer Internship Program
Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital Summer Internship Program
The Northwestern Medicine CDH Summer Internship Program offers undergraduate students pursuing a career in medicine an opportunity to spend eight weeks at a premier medical center learning about and exploring a career in healthcare. Interns participate in an immersive clinical experience, engage in individual and team-based activities, and spend their days working among healthcare teams from more than two dozen clinical departments. After completing a comprehensive orientation week, the following seven weeks focus on scheduled specialty and primary care rotations. Our weekly rotations across various departments expose interns to a variety of clinical environments, broaden their scopes of interest and allow them to gain an understanding of new and different areas of medicine. Step into the operating room for a wide range of surgeries, shadow physicians while they perform a procedure or test, observe the birth of a new child or the care in a busy emergency room, participate in daily rounds in the hospital units, and observe face-to-face daily interaction between a trusted care provider and a patient. Our program will engage you from a provider’s perspective and show you a side of medicine you may not yet have experienced. Our interns will also hear directly from experienced physicians and other caregivers each week in an informal lecture series, when they share their insights into a career in medicine, and answer questions from our interns. Students also have the opportunity to deliver two presentations to their peers on assigned topics, and to receive feedback and suggestions on how best to prepare for the medical school application process and interviews.
Our former interns have consistently gone on to receive acceptances into prestigious medical schools, physician assistant programs, nursing schools and other healthcare related fields with great success, and they have found this internship to be an invaluable experience in those pursuits.
Healthcare remains one of the fastest growing industries in the nation. As one of the largest employers in DuPage and Kane County, we are dedicated to partnering with undergraduate students who are looking to expand their knowledge of various healthcare careers.
Positions Available: 12 positions
Internship begins Tuesday, May 26, 2020
Internship ends Friday, July 17, 2020
Eligibility for Summer Internship Program: Applicants must have completed four semesters of college at the end of May 2020 and have a GPA of 3.25 or better.
Schedule: To give you an idea of what a typical week looks like:
- There are twenty-five different specialty rotation days that all interns will get a chance to experience.
- Each rotation week starts on a Monday and interns continue their schedule of departmental observations through Thursday.
- Each week interns could visit up to as many as five different departments in one week.
- Rotations vary from summer to summer. Previous summer rotations include:
- Operating Room
- Women’s and Children’s (Pediatrics, Labor and Delivery, Mother/Baby, & NICU)
- Diagnostic Imaging, Interventional Labs, and Neurosciences
- Behavioral Health Services
- Emergency Department
- Start times can vary from a 6:30 am to 8:30 am depending on the department. Shifts are typically eight hours.
- Friday’s schedule is 8:00 am to 12:00 pm, and includes the interns sharing experiences from their rotations. Friday’s sessions also include our guest speaker series where physicians and other leaders describe their career path and provide insights into their chosen specialties.
Compensation: All summer internships are non-paid positions.
Application Dates: The online applications will be available:
December 13, 2019 through February 14, 2020
Applicants will be notified of their status and next steps no later than March 20, 2020.