Summer Internship Program
Summer Internship Program
Healthcare remains one of the fastest growing industries in the nation. As one of the largest employers in DuPage and Kane County, we are dedicated to partnering with students who are looking to expand their knowledge of various healthcare careers. Through meaningful experiences such as the summer internship program, we continue our tradition of inspiring students to follow a path into the healthcare profession.
The Summer Internship Program offers a unique opportunity to shadow and observe a variety of specialty departments within Central DuPage Hospital, Delnor Hospital, Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital and other Northwestern Medicine affiliates located in the western suburbs. After completing a comprehensive orientation week, the following seven weeks focus on specific specialty rotations. Each weekly rotation gives a behind-the-scenes view of the care our patients experience in a hospital and office setting. On your journey, you will meet the wonderful staff, who exemplify our commitment to Patients First.
Positions Available: 12 positions
Internship begins May 21, 2019
Internship ends July 12, 2019
Eligibility for Summer Internship Program: Applicants must have completed four semesters of college at the end of May 2019 and have a GPA of 3.25 or better.
Schedule: To give you an idea of what a typical week looks like:
- There are seven different specialty rotation weeks that all interns will get a chance to experience.
- Each rotation week starts on a Monday and interns continue their schedule of departmental observations through Thursday.
- Each week interns could visit up to as many as four different departments.
- Rotations vary from summer to summer. Previous summer rotations include:
- Operating Room
- Women’s and Children’s (Child Life, Labor and Delivery, Mother/Baby, & NICU)
- Diagnostic Imaging, Interventional Labs, and Neurosciences
- Behavioral Health Services
- Emergency Department
- Start times can vary from 6:30 am to 8:30 am depending on the department. Shifts are typically eight hours.
- Friday’s schedule is 8:00am – 12:00pm and is reserved for the intern students to share experiences from their rotations. Fridays also include our guest speaker series where physicians and other leaders describe their career path and an overview of their specialty. It’s a great opportunity to ask questions.
Compensation: All summer internships are non-paid positions.
Application Dates: The online applications will be available:
December 10, 2018 through January 13, 2019
Click here to submit an application