A Pleasant Experience
Our private rooms are designed to allow mothers to recover after birth and to get acquainted with their newborn(s).
Our postpartum nurses provide care for mothers and their baby(s) and will teach basic baby care, such as breastfeeding, diapering, bathing and care of the umbilical cord and circumcision. In addition to nursing guidance, all mothers may view our baby care video, "You and Your New Baby," that provides information and demonstrations on practical baby care topics.
We understand how eager friends and family will be to meet the new baby. The following guidelines have been established for the safety of your baby:
- Mother's partner may be present 24 hours a day
- Other visitors, including brothers or sisters of any age, are welcome 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Children under age 12, except baby's siblings, may not visit, due to Illinois Department of Public Health regulations
A safe and secured environment is our highest priority. Our nurses will review our security and safety protocols.
- Mothers should never leave their baby alone in the room. If the need to leave the room arises, our staff can care for the baby in the nursery.
- Mothers should never give their baby to anyone unless he or she is wearing a Northwestern Memorial employee ID badge.
Birth Certificate & Social Security Number
A Northwestern Memorial staff member will visit new mothers to complete the birth certificate and begin the process of obtaining the baby's social security number. After the application is complete, the social security number will be mailed to your home. The hospital does not provide a copy of the birth certificate. To get a copy, contact the Cook County Clerk’s Office, 312-744-3800.