Convenient Care Without Leaving Home
For your convenience and safety, Northwestern Medicine now offers telehealth visits. Just like an in-person visit, your physician may be able to make a real-time diagnosis, develop a treatment plan with you, adjust your current treatment plan and prescribe medications through telehealth. You may also be evaluated for COVID-19 symptoms.
Visits will typically be conducted by video using your computer, tablet or other digital device, such as an iPhone or Android phone. In some cases, your visit may be by phone. Telehealth visits are available for both adult and pediatric patients.
Many types of appointments are appropriate for a telehealth visit. To schedule one, please call your physician’s office or request an appointment through your MyNM Patient Portal account.
Instructions for Your Telehealth Visit
Preparing for Your Visit
- Prior to your visit, use the eCheck-In process to register for your appointment. eCheck-In allows you to review and update your personal demographics and your medical and insurance information prior to your appointment. You can also pay your co-pay and complete any necessary clinical questionnaires in a contactless manner. You can find a guide to eCheck-In here.
- Select a quiet, private, comfortable and well-lit place for the visit.
- If you will have a video visit, plan to log in 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to make sure the speakers and camera are working properly, and you have a good internet connection.
- Just like any medical visit, you should:
- Be prepared to discuss your symptoms
- Know your medical history and recent test results
- Have a list of current medications
- Prepare any questions you have for your physician ahead of the visit
- Ask your physician to clarify anything you don’t understand or need repeated
- Consider having a family member or friend join you during the visit to take notes, raise any concerns and serve as a second set of ears.
Conducting Your Visit
Your physician’s office will send a text message to start a telehealth visit by video.
- You will receive a text message from the number 882-86.
- For your first visit, you will be asked to provide consent to receive text messages. Tap “Consent to receive messages” to continue.
- Tap “Join Video Call” to be connected to the video visit.
Your physician will call you directly. Please be by your phone 15 minutes before the visit. The call may come from an unknown number.
- Not every appointment can be conducted through telehealth, and a telehealth visit is not for an emergency or crisis. Please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room if you are having an emergency.
- Privacy, confidentiality and the security of information are important to Northwestern Medicine. We use a secure video tool that allows you to connect with your physician online while protecting your privacy. Video visits are not recorded or stored.
- Insurance coverage for telehealth can vary. Please contact your insurance company to determine your costs, including co-pay and coinsurance.
- If you are 16 or older and need care outside of regular business hours, you may request a telephone visit with a Northwestern Medicine Immediate Care healthcare provider.