Volunteer at Northwestern Medicine Evanston
Volunteer at Northwestern Medicine Evanston Immediate Care Center
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Northwestern Medicine Evanston Immediate Care Center. We have reached capacity for fall volunteering at our Lake Forest, Grayslake, Evanston and Glenview locations.
Volunteer services are vital to our mission of optimizing the quality of healthcare for our patients. Our volunteers provide hospital departments and staff with capable, dependable and trained volunteers who contribute thousands of hours of service annually. Our goal is to offer a compassionate presence to our patients, their families and visitors.
Apply to volunteer
All applicants, including returning volunteers, should complete and submit an electronic application. An automatic email will be sent confirming receipt of the application. This confirmation does not guarantee placement as a volunteer. A second email will be sent shortly after to guide you to the next steps.
Adult applications are accepted any time of year. Applications for Evanston, Glenview, Grayslake and Lake Forest locations are processed through Lake Forest Hospital Volunteer Services.
Student applications are only accepted during the following dates:
- Summer: Apply after April 15 for summer volunteer sessions (8 weeks in a row)
- Fall: Apply after August 1 for fall volunteer sessions (12 weeks in a row)
- Winter: Apply after November 1 for winter volunteer sessions (12 weeks in a row)
- Graduated high school prior to 2017
- Pass criminal background check
- Complete electronic volunteer application
- Participate in personal interview
- Attend hospital orientation for new volunteers
- Discuss TB testing, flu shots and other relevant inoculations with manager during interview
- Provide immunization records for:
- Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR)
- Chickenpox (Varicella)
- Tetanus (Tdap)
- Read and comply with Lake Forest Hospital policies, such as code of conduct, privacy laws and dress code
- Obtain hospital identification badge and uniform
- Complete on-the-job training for assigned volunteer service
We ask that volunteers not be seeking employment at Northwestern Medicine.
- Personal growth
- Free flu shots
- Increased knowledge of healthcare, hospital programs and services
- Awareness of hospital community education and wellness presentations
- Interaction with community-minded, service-oriented people
- Annual volunteer recognition
- Discounts at Hospital Gift Shop, Patio Grille, Au Bon Pain and Atrium Café