Northwestern Memorial Hospital Ranked No. 1 in Illinois and Chicago, Named to the Prestigious Best Hospitals Honor Roll for Seventh Consecutive Year
Northwestern Memorial Hospital Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital August 14, 2018
U.S. News & World Report has recognized four Northwestern Medicine hospitals in its 2018-19 Best Hospitals rankings. Northwestern Memorial Hospital is again named as one of the top hospitals in the country ranking No. 13 on the prestigious Best Hospitals Honor Roll. This is the seventh consecutive year that Northwestern Memorial has received this distinction and it is the only hospital in Illinois to make the Honor Roll, which is awarded to 20 U.S. hospitals that deliver the highest quality of care across a range of specialties, procedures and conditions.
Northwestern Medicine hospitals were also recognized as Best Hospitals in Illinois and Chicago:
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital is the No. 1 hospital in Illinois and Chicago for the seventh consecutive year
- Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital is ranked No. 6 in Chicago Metro and No. 7 in Illinois
- Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital is ranked No. 13 in Chicago Metro and No. 16 in Illinois
- Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital is ranked No. 13 in Chicago Metro and No. 16 in Illinois
“U.S. News Best Hospitals rankings of Northwestern Medicine is a direct reflection of our relentless pursuit of better medicine,” said Dean M. Harrison, President and Chief Executive Officer, Northwestern Memorial HealthCare. “As Chicago’s premier academic health system, we are proud of our talented physicians, exceptional nurses and dedicated staff who collaborate each day to provide world class care to the patients we are privileged to serve.”
For the 2018-19 rankings, U.S. News evaluated hospitals across 16 specialties and nine procedures and conditions. Only 158 hospitals, or about 3 percent of the more than 4,500 hospitals evaluated, were nationally ranked in even one specialty.
Northwestern Memorial is nationally ranked in 11 out of 16 specialties with two high performing specialties and is high performing in all nine procedures and conditions. Of the 11 nationally ranked specialties, three clinical programs at Northwestern Memorial are ranked among the top 10 hospitals in the country:
- Northwestern Memorial is ranked No. 7 for Cardiology & Heart Surgery. “This is a moment to pause and thank, first and foremost, our patients for their trust and support, as well as the tremendous teamwork from our experienced physicians, nurses, administrators and staff,” said Patrick McCarthy, MD, chief of cardiac surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and executive director of the Northwestern Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute. “We are now looking to a future of continued commitment to innovation, advanced treatment options and breakthrough research, not only downtown but throughout the Northwestern Medicine system.”
“With great success comes more responsibility,” said Clyde Yancy, MD, MSc, associate director of the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute and Northwestern Memorial’s chief of cardiology. “As we continue to transform cardiovascular medicine, the Northwestern Medicine Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute is committed to relentlessly providing extraordinary, exemplary and compassionate care.”
- Northwestern Memorial is ranked No. 8 for Neurology & Neurosurgery. “We are proud to be consistently recognized among national leaders in neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report,” said Dimitri Krainc, MD, PhD, chair of neurology at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. “With innovative research and a never ending pursuit for better treatment options for neurological disorders, we now offer a variety of new and expanded clinical programs, including neurogenetics, neuromuscular, cognitive and movement disorders, epilepsy, neuroimmunology, neuro-oncology, sleep medicine and vascular neurology, ledby renowned physicians and an outstanding clinical team.”
“Every day, our people demonstrate an extraordinary commitment to providing world-class neurosurgical care by delivering the highest standards to our patients and families we are privileged to serve,” said Maciej Lesniak, MD, chair of neurological surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. “As we continue to expand our neurosurgical program into the suburbs, our mission is to offer high-quality care for urgent and complex neurosurgical conditions closer to home. This honor validates the drive everyone has in the department to bring the neurosurgery department to new heights.”
- Northwestern Memorial is ranked No. 9 for Geriatrics. “Seniors are walking history and can teach our society so much; our Geriatrics team at Northwestern Memorial is so honored and privileged to care for and learn from these critical members of our community,” said Lee A. Lindquist, MD, MPH, MBA, chief of geriatrics at Northwestern Memorial. “To be recognized by U.S. News as one of the nation’s top Geriatrics programs for the third consecutive year is an awesome recognition of the exceptional care our team of geriatricians, nurses, social workers and staff bring to our senior patients every day. We translate the latest research in aging and geriatrics medicine into clinical activities as we strive to help our senior patients age in place while retaining healthy, active and independent lives.”
In addition to its top 10 programs, Northwestern Memorial was also nationally ranked or recognized as high performing in the following specialties: Cancer (No. 12), Ear, Nose and Throat (No. 49), Gastroenterology & GI Surgery (No. 30), Gynecology (No. 13), Nephrology (No. 35), Orthopaedics (No. 12), Pulmonology (No. 25), Urology (No. 26), Diabetes & Endocrinology (High Performing) and Rheumatology (High Performing).
Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital also ranked in Orthopaedics (No. 32) making the specialty the only in which Northwestern Medicine has two nationally ranked clinical programs at two hospitals.
“Having two Northwestern Medicine hospitals ranked among the best orthopaedics programs in the country is a recognition of the advanced musculoskeletal care provided across our health system in the communities where our patients live and work,” said Terrance Peabody, MD, chair of orthopaedics at Northwestern Memorial. “Our health system is home to some of the most talented orthopaedic surgeons in the country who are focused not only on providing world class clinical care, but also strive to advance our specialty through innovative research, finding better treatments and training the next generation of surgeons. We’re proud to have Northwestern Memorial and Central DuPage Hospitals recognized for being leaders in orthopaedics and look forward to continuing to expand this excellence across our health system.”
Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital is also recognized as high performing in Diabetes & Endocrinology, Gastroenterology & GI Surgery and Neurology & Neurosurgery. Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital is recognized as high performing in three specialties: Geriatrics, Orthopaedics and Urology. Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital is also recognized as High Performing in Gastroenterology & GI Surgery.
The Best Hospitals methodologies in most areas of care are based largely or entirely on objective measures such as risk-adjusted survival and readmission rates, volume, patient experience, patient safety and quality of nursing among other care-related indicators.
For more information on the U.S. News hospital rankings, visit Best Hospitals.