Thank you for your interest in Northwestern Medicine’s Discovery Program. Our mission is create a pathway for the next generation of NM leaders by drawing on the talents of our incredible team of health care professionals to provide STEM career exposure. Throughout the two-year Program, students will be exposed to a broad range of health care careers through activities including tours, guest speakers, group discussion, and hands-on projects. In addition, the Program fosters character and professional development, cultivates life skills, provides community service and leadership experience, and offers mentorship and networking opportunities. Meetings are held once a month, most often on Saturday mornings from 9:00 am-12:00 pm.
Please note, meeting dates, day of the week, times, and topics are subject to change.
To meet increased demand for the Program and to serve our growing health system, we are excited to announce our expansion into four chapters: NM Discovery Program Central, NM Discovery Program North, NM Discovery Program West and NM Discovery Program Greater DeKalb County. Chapter participation is based on county residency. Program locations will vary based on chapter. The programs at all locations will be similar, though not identical; there will be some joint activities as scheduling permits.
- NM Discovery Program Central Chapter: Cook and Will counties
- NM Discovery Program North Chapter: Lake and McHenry counties
- NM Discovery Program Greater DeKalb Chapter: DeKalb, Kendall, LaSalle, Lee and Ogle counties
- NM Discovery Program West Chapter: DuPage and Kane counties
For more information on each chapter including location and application requirements, and to apply, please visit each Chapter’s page, below.
Please note, if you are a returning Program participant, you will return to your same chapter regardless of county of residence.
First year applicants must:
- Be at least 15 years of age.
- Be entering sophomore or junior year of high school.
- Have an academic GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 GPA scale).
- Commit to the two year program, including attendance at all Discovery Program meetings and community service activities. No more than two excused absences are permitted per year.
- Commit to abide by all Discovery Program Guidelines and Policies.
- Submit the completed First Year Applications to the appropriate Chapter.
Second year returning applications must:
- Have successfully completed the first year of the NM Discovery Program and maintained good standing as defined by the Guidelines and Policies.
- Be entering junior or senior year of high school.
- Maintained an academic GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Commit to the second year of the Program, including attendance at all Discovery Program meetings and community service activities. No more than two excused absences are permitted per year.
- Submit a re-enrollment form.
Click on your region below to access the 2019-2020 Discovery Program applications and instructions. Applications are due on Friday, September 27, 2019. Notification will come in late October via e-mail from your respective chapter.