A diagnosis involving your brain and spine can change your life. Northwestern Medicine can change the way you’re treated. Better care starts with putting yourself at the center of a world-class neurology and neurosurgery team.
Northwestern Medicine is defining the future of neurology and neurosurgery through leading-edge research aimed at improving survival and quality of life for our patients. We are anchored by Northwestern Memorial Hospital, the No. 1 hospital in Illinois with a neurology and neurosurgery program ranked in the top 10 nationally.
With locations in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, better neurological care is close to where you live and work.
Click here for Neurology and Neurosurgery locations and appointment information.
Meet the Neurology and Neurosurgery Teams
At Northwestern Medicine, we specialize in rare and challenging conditions. We work with you to create a comprehensive, personalized treatment plan for diseases of the brain and spine. In addition, we offer a full range of medical and surgical therapies, including minimally invasive treatment options and clinical trials that are not widely available.
Brain, Spine and Skull Base Tumors
Northwestern Medicine performs more brain and spine tumor surgeries than any other health system in Illinois. We offer tailored treatment plans for every type of brain, spine and skull base tumor, including rare conditions like chordoma.
Epilepsy and Epilepsy Surgery
Northwestern Medicine is the only health system in Illinois with two adult hospitals designated by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC)–a testament of our ability to diagnose and treat the most complicated types of epilepsy and seizure disorders.
Genetic Testing and Counseling
We offer education and support for those considering genetic testing for neurological disorders. If you are undergoing genetic testing, our experts will work with you and your family to ensure you understand the implications of any findings.
Multiple Sclerosis and Neuroimmunology
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society has recognized our program as a Center for Comprehensive Care of Multiple Sclerosis. We specialize in relapsing MS, and offer the latest infusion services in a comfortable, state-of-the-art facility.
Neuro Infusion Services
Northwestern Medicine offers convenient and relaxing outpatient infusion services in our state-of-the-art facility at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. We offer the full range of infusion treatment drugs, including the latest therapies to treat multiple sclerosis.
Neuromodulation and Functional Neurosurgery
We offer one of the leading Neuromodulation and Functional Neurosurgery programs in the Midwest, combining advanced technology and using innovative techniques to give hope to patients who have been told there is no hope. We are one of the leading providers of deep brain stimulation (DBS) and epilepsy surgery.
We offer comprehensive care to patients with neuromuscular conditions, including specialized programs for the treatment of ALS, Charcot-Marie Tooth disease, muscular dystrophy, myasthenia gravis, peripheral neuropathy and spinal muscular atrophy.
Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders
We are recognized by the National Parkinson Foundation and the Huntington’s Disease Society of America as a worldwide Center of Excellence (COE), and are one of few Wilson Disease Association Centers of Excellence in the world. COEs are recognized as providing the gold standard of care for movement disorders.
Sleep Health and Sleep Studies
Northwestern Medicine Sleep Health Centers provide day and night sleep studies for diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders. Our team includes neurology experts as well as pulmonary critical care physicians, board-certified or board-eligible sleep medicine specialists, registered technologists, and respiratory therapists specially trained in sleep disorders.
Stroke and Cerebrovascular Surgery
Our multidisciplinary team of experts has extensive experience evaluating and treating people who have had strokes or have other cerebrovascular diseases. Our patient outcomes are consistently among the best in the country.
The Women's Neurology Center at Northwestern Memorial Hospital is one of only a small number of women-focused neurology centers across the country dedicated to serving female patients in all stages of life and to advance research in women’s neurological conditions.
- Acoustic Neuroma
- Acute Spinal Cord Injury
- Adult Scoliosis
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Brain Tumors
- Carotid Dissection
- Cavernous Malformations
- Central Pain Syndrome
- Cerebral Aneurysm
- Cerebral Arteriovenous Malformation
- Cerebral Dural Arteriovenous Fistulas
- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorders
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Degenerative Spine Conditions
- Dizziness and Balance Disorders
- Essential Tremor
- Extracranial Arteriovenous Malformations
- Facial Nerve Disorders
- Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
- Fibromuscular Dysplasia
- Hemorrhagic Stroke
- Herniated Disk
- Huntington's Disease
- Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
- Intracranial Stenosis
- Ischemic Stroke
- Lymphatic/Venous Malformations
- Moyamoya Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Neuromuscular Disorders
- Parkinson's Disease
- Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO)
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Primary Progressive Aphasia
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Skull Base Tumors
- Sleep Apnea
- Spinal Arteriovenous Malformation
- Spinal Dural Arteriovenous Fistulas
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Spinal Stenosis
- Stroke-Induced Sleep Disorders
- Tic Disorder Overview
- Transient Ischemic Attacks
- Traumatic Spine Injuries
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Tumors of Spine
- Vascular Dementia
- Wilson Disease
- Women's Neurology
- Blood Tests
- Circadian Rhythm Monitoring
- Cognitive Assessment
- Computed Tomography (CT)
- Doppler Ultrasound
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Electromyogram (EMG)
- Epworth Sleepiness Scale
- Genetic Counseling and Testing for Epilepsy
- Home Sleep Study
- Ischemic Forearm Exercise Testing
- Muscle Biopsy
- Nerve Biopsy
- Nerve Conduction Velocity Study
- Neurological Exam
- Neuromuscular Disorders Evaluation and Diagnosis
- Neuropsychological Evaluation and Testing
- Sleep Latency Test
- Sleep Study/Apnea Test
- Spinal Tap (Lumbar Puncture)
- Acute Care of Stroke
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion
- Appliances and Devices
- Botulinum Toxin
- Carotid Treatments
- Cervical Disk Arthroplasty
- Cervical Laminoplasty
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Gastrointestinal Symptoms
- Cognitive Training
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP)
- Endovascular Embolization
- Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology
- Epilepsy Surgery
- Kyphoplasty and Vertebroplasty
- Lifestyle Modification Considerations for Epilepsy
- Lumbar Decompression
- Lumbar Fusion
- Microvascular Decompression
- Motor Cortex Stimulation
- Neurologic Rehabilitation
- Neurosurgical Oncology
- Nutritional Counseling
- Occupational Therapy
- Peripheral Nerve Surgery
- Physical Therapy
- Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy
- Psychological Counseling and Support
- Radiation Therapy
- Sleep Hygiene
- Speech Therapy
- Spine Surgery
- Tumor Treatments
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation
Neurology and Neurosurgery Clinical Trials and Research
Northwestern Medicine relentlessly pursues better neurology and neurosurgery care. Through an ever-evolving roster of promising clinical trials, Northwestern Medicine gives you access to new treatments and medications — along with innovative ways to use existing therapies — that are shaping the future of medicine.
- Clinical trials and research through the Department of Neurology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine that include clinical trials for movement disorders, epilepsy, neuromuscular disease, sleep disorders and more.
- Clinical trials and research through the Department of Neurological Surgery at Feinberg School of Medicine that include clinical trials for stroke, chronic pain, traumatic brain injuries and more.
- Clinical trials and research for brain and spine tumors through Lou and Jean Malnati Brain Tumor Institute of Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University.