Discovery Program Central Chapter
Northwestern Medicine Discovery Program Central Chapter
The Northwestern Medicine Discovery Program aims to create a pathway for the next generation of Northwestern Medicine leaders by drawing on the talents of our incredible team of health care professionals to provide STEM career exposure.
Throughout the two-year Program, students will be exposed to a broad range of health care careers through activities including tours, guest speakers, group discussion, and hands-on projects. In addition, the Program fosters character and professional development, cultivates life skills, provides community service and leadership experience, and offers mentorship and networking opportunities.
The Program’s Central Chapter is open to high school students who meet the below eligibility criteria and who reside in Cook and Will counties. Meetings are held once a month at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in downtown Chicago.
As of now, we are planning to run the 2021-2022 Discovery Program meeting sessions in-person. We will continue to monitor local and state guidelines.
Meetings are typically held the third Saturday of each month during the school year from 9:00 am–12:00 pm. All participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from each meeting. Please note, meeting dates, day of the week, times, and topics are subject to change.
First Year Program
First year applicants must:
- Be at least 15 years of age.
- Be a resident of Cook or Will county.
- Be entering sophomore or junior year of high school.
- Have an academic GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 GPA scale or 3.8 on a 5.0 GPA scale.
- Commit to the two year program, including attendance at all Discovery Program meetings and community service activities. No more than two excused absences are permitted per year.
- Commit to abide by all Discovery Program guidelines and policies.
- Submit the completed first year application to the appropriate chapter.
2021 Applications have now closed. Please check back in August of 2022.
All complete applications are carefully reviewed by a committee. Applicants will receive a decision email from the Northwestern Medicine Discovery Program by October 21, 2021.
Due to the volume of applications, transcripts, and recommendation letters sent we are not able to notify students and school staff that we have received their application.
For questions about the application process, please email Kaitlin Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.