Collagen Vascular Disease Treatments
Treatment for collagen vascular diseases depends on the type of condition, your overall health and the severity of your symptoms. Many conditions can be treated with:
- Corticosteroids: This anti-inflammatory medication helps normalize the immune system, but it can have uncomfortable side effects in some people.
- Immunosuppressants: By suppressing your body’s immune response, these medications minimize the symptoms associated with its attack on healthy tissue. Immunosuppressants can make you more likely to catch common infectious diseases.
- Physical therapy: PT can help you maintain your mobility and range of motion while reducing pain.
- Lifestyle changes: Regular exercise, stress reduction techniques, and avoiding the sun and other triggers may help you cope with symptoms.
- Joint replacement: In conditions where joints have been irreparably damaged, such as rheumatoid arthritis, replacement with a prosthetic joint may be recommended.