Generally, dandruff can be controlled with frequent shampooing and by using medicated shampoos. If over-the-counter medicated shampoos aren’t effective, your physician may select for a prescription-strength shampoo.
These shampoos may contain:
- Pyrithione zinc: This is an antibacterial and antifungal medication.
- Salicylic acid: This helps the rid the scalp of scaling.
- Selenium sulfide: This also slows the death of skin cells and fights fungal infection.
- Tar: This slows the death and shedding of skin cells.
- Tea tree oil: Shampoos containing this oil may have an antibiotic and antifungal effect.
- Ketoconazole: This is a prescription-strength antifungal agent that kills yeast.
Seborrheic dermatitis that’s not on the scalp can be treated with corticosteroid and antifungal creams and ointments.