There are a number of treatment options available to the underlying causes of snoring. Treatment may include:
- Nasal strips and dilators: Over-the-counter strips applied to your nose can help you breathe more easily through your nose.
- Dental appliances: These fitted retainers help keep your jaw, tongue and soft palate in the optimum position to minimize snoring.
- Lifestyle changes, including:
- Losing weight
- Sleeping on your side
- Raising the head of your bed
- Treating allergies or other congestion
- Quitting smoking
- Avoiding alcohol and sleeping pills
- Laser-assisted uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (LAUPPP) surgery: This is an outpatient procedure to remove excess tissue from the back of your throat to reduce vibration and increase breathing space.
- Somnoplasty: A low-intensity radiofrequency signal shrinks soft palate tissue to reduce vibration and increase breathing space.
If your snoring is related to obstructive sleep apnea, your physician may recommend:
- Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP): A small pump forces air through a tube and face mask to keep your airway open.