Eosinophilic Esophagitis Treatments
Eosinophilic esophagitis is a chronic condition that cannot be cured. Instead, there are several treatments that can help you manage the symptoms:
- Dietary changes: Avoiding the foods or other allergens that cause the allergic reaction can help. Common triggers include:
- Dairy foods
- Peanuts and tree nuts
- Weight loss: Excess abdominal weight can put pressure on your stomach and cause acid reflux.
- Elevate your upper body when sleeping: Blocks under the head of your bed can help lessen the amount of acid reflux.
- Medication: A proton pump inhibitor (acid blocker) or steroid can reduce inflammation.
- Pneumatic (balloon) dilation: Using an endoscope, a special balloon is passed through the mouth and into the esophagus, where it is inflated to open the esophageal stricture.