For Integrative Medicine Health Professionals
Our integrative medicine doctors work in collaboration with referring physicians to develop appropriate therapeutic plans for patients.
Information for Health Professionals
The integrative medicine physicians at the Northwestern Medicine Osher Center for Integrative Health are trained in both conventional and complementary medicine. Our team provides insurance–based, consultative outpatient service and we work in collaboration with referring doctors to develop appropriate therapeutic plans for patients. Our team of specialists provide acupuncture, massage, counseling, mind–body therapy, chiropractic, naturopathy, nutrition and supplement advice, smoking cessation support and fitness/wellness education.
Referrals can assist with communication to optimize collaboration around patient care, and are always appreciated. Referrals and any pertinent health information can be faxed to 312.926.6285.
Our staff will contact the referred patient to schedule a visit. Patients may also call and schedule an appointment themselves at 312.926.DOCS (3627) or request a visit through the MyNM Patient Portal.
After a consultation with the patient and a review of medical records, we will send a report back to the patient's referring doctor. Our team is always available for follow–up discussions via phone. Recommendations for the patient will be documented in the progress notes, as well as reviewed with the patient.
Common reasons for referrals
Integrative physician consults
- Management and oversight of dietary supplements
- Education of patients on integrative and complementary approaches
- Assessments for common conditions not fully treated through conventional medicine such as irritable bowel syndrome/GI issues; chronic pain; fibromyalgia; chronic fatigue syndrome
- Management of bioidentical hormones for perimenopause/menopause
- Addressing patient concerns about adrenal and thyroid health
- Weight–management strategies
Referrals directly to our team of providers
- Integrative primary care, acupuncture, massage/energy medicine, chiropractic, naturopathic, nutrition, smoking cessation and counseling
Referrals to fitness and wellness classes
- See our current class calendar
What makes the Osher Center for Integrative Health unique?
- Consultation service with doctors fellowship–trained in integrative medicine
- All provided therapies are informed by scientific evidence to ensure safe and effective use of integrative/complementary medicine with conventional medicine care
- Partnership with the patient's primary and specialist doctors
- Many of our patients are doctor–driven referrals
- Insurance accepted for doctor consults and select other services
- All visits are documented in the Northwestern Medicine shared electronic medical records for improved care coordination
- Easily available to patients by email via the MyNM Patient Portal