Questions to Ask
What to ask during your second opinion appointment
You have done your research and are meeting with an additional specialist to help ensure that you make the most informed medical decision. You should bring a notepad to your consultation and ask these questions of any other doctors you intend to consult:
- Could there be a different diagnosis/explanation for my condition?
- What treatment(s) do you recommend for it?
- Are there other viable treatments I should consider?
- Are there any additional test I should have?
- What happens if I wait or don't receive the treatment(s)?
- Are there side effects associated with the treatment option(s)?
- Are there any other risks associated with the treatment option(s)?
- How long is the recovery period for each treatment option?
- What are the expected outcomes of each treatment option?
- How much will the treatment cost? Is it covered by insurance?