Northwestern Memorial Hospital Preoperative Clinic
Patients who are scheduled to have surgery or a procedure requiring anesthesia should undergo an evaluation prior to the procedure.
The Northwestern Medicine Preoperative Clinic serves as a single point of intake that ensures standardization of patient preparedness and health information management, thereby improving safety, efficiency and patient satisfaction throughout the entire preoperative experience.
The Preoperative Clinic evaluation may be in the form of an actual visit or a phone interview. Please request an appointment date that is 7 to 30 days before your scheduled surgery.
What to bring to your Preoperative Clinic visit
Bring the following information to your appointment at the Northwestern Medicine Preoperative Clinic:
- Northwestern Medicine Preoperative Clinic Order Form
- The Northwestern Medicine Preoperative Clinic Health History Form. If you have not completed it prior to your appointment, please be prepared to complete this form on the day of your clinic visit: English | Spanish
- Your current medical insurance card
- Medicare card (Medicare patients only)
- A photo ID
- Your complete, up-to-date list of all current medications, herbals and over-the-counter medicines (or all your medication bottles) with the following information:
- Medication dose
- How often you are taking the medication
- The reason you are taking the medication
Preparing for your appointment at the Preoperative Clinic
You may eat, drink and take your medications according to your normal schedule before a preoperative exam or test unless advised otherwise by your surgeon. Your visit at the Preoperative Clinic will last approximately 60 minutes. However, should you need tests and other studies, your visit may last up to 90 minutes.
On the day of your visit you will receive detailed information on how to prepare for surgery and what to expect the day prior to surgery and the morning of your surgery or procedure.
Preoperative Clinic Forms for Physicians
If you're a physician and your patient is having surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, there are preoperative clinic forms for you to complete. Click here to view physician forms, instructions and reference materials.