Home Sleep Study
A Home Sleep Study Test (HST) is a sleep study that involves an overnight recording of a few important body functions and measurements in the comfort of your own home, in order to look for sleep apnea.
During sleep testing, your body functions are monitored using several devices, including:
- Flexible elastic belts are placed around your chest and abdomen to monitor your breathing efforts.
- A soft plastic cannula placed in your nostrils to monitor airflow.
- A clip is placed on your index finger to monitor the level of oxygen in your blood and your heart rate.
Preparing for the test
- Complete a sleep questionnaire about your symptoms and sleeping patterns.
- You will need to pick up the recording device and receive instructions on its use.
On the day of your study
- Do not eat or drink caffeinated products (coffee, tea, chocolate, soda) past 12pm.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid use of excessive hair styling products (hairspray, gel, etc), makeup and body creams.
- Remove acrylic nails and nail polish from index fingers.
- Unless told otherwise, take all prescription medications as instructed by your physician.
What to bring when picking up the device
- Physician orders
- Insurance card