After your baby arrives, our specialists are here to help you and your family enjoy this special, memorable time. Our private rooms are designed to allow mothers to recover after birth and to get acquainted with their newborns.
Excellent nursing care
Once you have moved to your private postpartum suite, your mother-baby nursing team will care for you for the rest of your stay. Our nurses are dedicated to your total comfort and personal care—an approach that has earned some of the highest patient satisfaction scores in the nation1.
Our postpartum nurses provide care for mothers and their babies, and will teach basic baby care, such as breastfeeding, diapering, bathing, and caring for the umbilical cord and circumcision.
Northwestern Medicine prioritizes your baby's safety. Our nurses will review our security and safety protocols with you. Your baby will receive an infant protection electronic tag designed to trigger an alarm if the baby is taken past the unit’s security doors.
- Mothers should never leave their baby alone in the room. If you need to leave the room, our staff can care for the baby in the nursery.
- Mothers should never give their baby to anyone unless he or she is wearing a Northwestern Medicine employee ID badge.
Birth certificate and social security number
A Northwestern Medicine staff member will visit new mothers to complete the birth certificate paperwork. The hospital does not issue the actual birth certificate. To get a copy, contact your local county clerk's office.
The staff member will also help you apply for your baby's social security number. After the application is complete, the social security number will be mailed to your home.
- Have your car waiting in front of the hospital when mother and baby are ready to leave.
- Bring your car seat to the room and secure the baby in the seat before leaving the room. You should be familiar with how to use the car seat before you leave the hospital. The Illinois Child Passenger Protection Law requires that every baby ride in a secure car seat. You can also take a class on proper car seat installation. Remember to assemble the car seat and secure it in your car before you pick up your baby. Hospital staff is not responsible for the installation or instruction of car seat usage.
- Use one of our available carts to transport your belongings to your car.