We offer a comprehensive diabetes education program that is recognized by the American Diabetes Association. A team of Certified Diabetes Educators, nurses and dietitians teach people how to manage and live a healthier life with diabetes. We can help patients whether newly diagnosed or have had diabetes for many years. Family members are encouraged to join in the learning process. Education is provided through one-on-one appointments as well as group.
All of the following services and support are available to adult and pediatric patients and families.
Diabetes services include:
- Comprehensive education for Type 1, Type 2, & Gestational Diabetes
- Individual assessments, group and individual classes and self-management training
- Nutrition counseling, meal planning, and carbohydrate counting
- Instruction on blood glucose monitoring
- Insulin injection teaching
- Insulin pump orientation
- Detailed explanation of pump therapy and comparison of current insulin pumps
- Insulin pump training and support available for various types of pumps, including Medtronic, Tandem and Omnipod
- CGMs professional/diagnostic use
- Individual training: Dexcom, FreeStyle Libre & Medtronic Guardian Connect
- 7 to 14 days of 24hr glucose monitoring reports
- Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) testing
We offer a variety of nutritional programs tailored to meet the needs of adults and children. Registered dietitians will help develop long-term goals and create food plans that complement patients' lifestyle and preferences. We provide a compassionate environment for learning, along with accountability that promotes success in achieving health goals.
Nutrition services include:
- Weight management and nutrition for children, adults and seniors
- Wellness and disease prevention
- Cardiovascular disease & cardiac rehabilitation
- Food allergies, celiac disease/GI disorders
- Kidney disease
- Pregnancy and postpartum support
- Sports nutrition
- Behavioral health nutritional services
Physician referral is required for all MNT visits to ensure compliance with patient's insurance coverage. Aside from private insurance for MNT, our dietitians also provide the following appointment types:
- Medicare: MNT is covered under Medicare Part B benefit for diabetes, pre-dialysis renal disease and the period of 36 months after kidney transplant. Medicare also reimburses for MNT for obesity, as defined at BMI >30kg/m2 when billed under intensive behavioral therapy (IBT). Research indicates that MNT is cost-effective as it improves outcomes.
- Resting metabolic rate testing: The RMR test is a simple, non-invasive test that accurately measures how many calories you burn at rest. During the test, a machine captures and analyzes the composition of your breath, determining your oxygen consumption, to measure the rate at which you consume energy.
- Wellness packages: For individuals without insurance coverage, we offer packages that include a 1 hour initial appointment and 30 minute follow-ups along with RMR testing.