Pigment Disorder Treatments
Treatment for pigment disorders depends on the type of condition, but many pigmented lesions respond to laser therapy. Treatments include:
- Topical medication: Sometimes medicated creams or gels can help even skin tones.
- Surgery: Traditional open surgery may be used to remove hemangiomas that don’t disappear on their own.
- Laser surgery: A variety of laser procedures can help shrink birthmarks and discoloration. Sometimes several treatments are required to get optimum results.
- Pulsed dye laser: A short, high-energy flash of light is passed through dye to treat pigmented spots.
- Sclerotherapy: Your physician uses a small needle to inject medication into the blood vessels of telangiectasias, causing them to shrink.