Specialists and Care Centers
Laryngitis Specialists and Care Centers
More commonly known as ear, nose and throat physicians (ENTs), Northwestern Medicine otolaryngologists specialize in the diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of diseases and disorders of the head and neck, including laryngitis.
Otolaryngologists provide care for a wide range of disorders, including those dealing with hearing, balance, smell, taste, voice, speech and language. We also manage the treatment of head and neck cancers, as well as perform reconstructive and cosmetic plastic surgery.
At the heart of our success is the complementary approach through multidisciplinary teams of physicians* who work to bring top quality care to patients from around the world. Your treatment team may include:
- Plastic surgeons
- Speech pathologists
The Center for Voice
The Center for Voice at Northwestern University is an interdisciplinary collaboration between the Northwestern Medicine Department of Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery) and Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. Our purpose is:
- To advance the state of the art of clinical laryngology through coordinated care, the introduction of emerging technologies and research
- To provide a foundation for education of patients, primary care physicians, residents and interns in all areas related to voice disorders
- To foster collaborative interdisciplinary basic and applied research in laryngology
The Center for Voice allows for the total evaluation and treatment of the patient with voice problems among a diverse group of medical specialists. Our treatment philosophy is centered on eliminating causative factors for the voice disorder, in addition to addressing factors that may benefit from medical and surgical intervention.
Services available through our facilities include:
- Digital videostroboscopy and electroglottography
- Laryngeal electromyography
- Coordinated clinic for botulinum toxin injection of patients with laryngeal dystonias
- State-of-the-art surgical services at Northwestern Memorial Hospital for laryngeal microsurgery and laryngeal framework surgery
- Comprehensive otolaryngologic evaluation and treatment
- Audiologic services, including hearing protection, aids and monitors for the performing artist
- Standardized referral patterns for patients in need of evaluation by Gastroenterology, Neurology, Allergy, Pulmonary Medicine, Voice and Speech Trainers and Singing Coaches*
- Educational services
- An integrated research program involving both clinical and basic science research