Why Northwestern Medicine?
Our physicians believe that successful medical management of complex disorders, including cholestatic disease, liver cancer and end-stage liver disease, requires a team approach. Our liver program includes:
- Liver surgeons and transplantation specialists
- Interventional radiologists
- Infectious disease specialists
- Social workers
- Financial counselors
These specialists meet weekly to chart the best course of treatment for each patient.
Our team sees each patient individually and performs a comprehensive assessment to determine risk factors and then develop the best treatment plan. We work closely with patients and their families to answer questions and provide guidance about treatments and procedures. In addition, we help patients and families manage post-hospitalization care by working with primary care physicians to improve each patient’s quality of life.
The liver disease and transplant program at Northwestern’s Organ Transplant Center offers a complete range of medical and surgical interventions to treat patients with complex liver disorders, including liver disease management, end-stage disease treatment and liver transplantation. We have been recognized for our success with new immunosuppressant agents that help reduce post-transplant complications and are one of the few hospitals in the Midwest to perform minimally invasive laparoscopic resections of liver tumors and laparoscopic procedures in patients with cirrhosis. Additionally, Northwestern Memorial Hospital is one of the first hospitals in Chicago with a dedicated liver cancer clinic.
In addition, the Division of Hepatology provides outpatient and inpatient diagnosis management and treatment of liver diseases and medical management of patients requiring liver transplantation.
- Combination Therapy with RFA+Y90
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography
- Esophageal Sclerotherapy
- Esophageal Variceal Banding
- Liver biopsy: Percutaneous, Laparoscopic and Transvenous
- Organ Transplantation Program
- Radiofrequency (RF) Ablation Procedures
- TIPS (Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt)
- Transarterial Chemoembolization
- Transarterial Drug-eluting Beads
- Transarterial Radioembolization Y90
- Upper Endoscopy