Pediatric hospitalists are board-certified pediatricians with special training in hospital-based medicine for infants, children and adolescents. These pediatric specialists coordinate clinical care and serve as the essential bridge between your hospitalized child and your child’s primary care pediatrician or specialty care physician(s).
24/7 In-hospital care
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago Pediatric Hospitalists are on-site 24 hours a day, seven days a week on the Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital1 campus and Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital. Pediatric hospitalists are also on staff at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Prentice Women's Hospital. Their focus includes:
- Providing comprehensive clinical care of acutely ill pediatric patients
- Assisting in pediatric procedures and closely monitoring progress, watching for complications and concerns
- Communicating with patients and their families
- Communicating with the patient's primary doctor and specialty healthcare team
- Coordinating services, including admitting, diagnostic testing/results and discharge
- Providing evaluation and care before and after procedures and surgery
- Providing conscious sedation for medical imaging studies
Multidisciplinary team approach
A multidisciplinary team approach to care is at the core of pediatric hospitalist thinking and training. Our hospitalists understand the benefit of compassionate, coordinated hospital care. The breadth of this team2 includes:
- Lurie Children’s hospitalists board-certified in pediatrics
- Advanced practice nurses
- Respiratory care technicians
- Social workers
- Child life specialists
- Rehabilitation therapists
You can count on this compassionate, collaborative approach to care, from your child’s arrival through recovery.
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago at Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital and Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital is a collaborative program between Northwestern Memorial HealthCare and Lurie Children's and its affiliated physician groups. The physicians participating in this program are neither agents nor employees of Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital or Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital.
In the spirit of keeping you well-informed, some of the physician(s) and/or individual(s) identified are neither agents nor employees of Northwestern Memorial HealthCare or any of its affiliate organizations. They have selected our facilities as places where they want to treat and care for their private patients.
The physicians who practice at the Northwestern Medicine Chicago Proton Center are neither agents nor employees of Northwestern Memorial HealthCare or any of its affiliate organizations. These physicians have selected our facilities as the place where they want to treat and care for their private patients.