Pediatric Neuro-Oncology and Proton Therapy Program
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago1 partners with Northwestern Medicine to offer highly specialized, leading-edge care for children with brain and central nervous system tumors. Using a family-centered, multidisciplinary approach, our team empowers children and their families with ways to cope with the emotional, social and developmental challenges that come with pediatric cancer.
Convenient Suburban Location
The Lurie Children’s Pediatric Neuro-oncology Program at the Northwestern Medicine Proton Center2 coordinates care for pediatric patients receiving proton therapy. Northwestern Medicine Proton Center, located in Warrenville in Chicago’s west suburbs, is the first and only center of its kind in Illinois to offer leading-edge proton therapy to fight cancer.
Advanced Proton Therapy Technology
Proton therapy is an advanced form of radiation treatment that precisely targets tumors. This advanced treatment technology may offer many benefits, including:
- Fewer short- and long-term side effects
- Less damage to surrounding healthy tissue
- Reduced likelihood of secondary tumors caused by treatment
- Improved quality of life during and after treatment
- Ability to treat recurrent tumors, even in children who have already received radiation
Our pediatric neuro-oncology specialists provide personalized, comprehensive and compassionate care for your child, with the collaborative resources of:
- Northwestern Medicine Proton Center2: The only Midwest member of the Pediatric Brain Tumor Consortium (PBTC), a national group helping to diagnose and provide leading-edge care for rare pediatric brain tumors. The center is also a member of the internationally recognized Children's Oncology Group (COG), which conducts pediatric oncology clinical trials.
- Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago Brain Tumor Board: This multidisciplinary board plays an integral role in the clinical review of all pediatric brain and central nervous system tumors of pediatric patients undergoing treatment at the center.
- Neuro-oncology patients benefit from rehabilitation locally at the Northwestern Medicine Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital.
- During treatment, families may choose to enjoy the comfortable and supportive environment of the Ronald McDonald House near Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital.
The multidisciplinary care team includes:
- Lurie Children’s board-certified pediatric neuro-oncology specialists
- Lurie Children’s pediatric anesthesiologists
- Pediatric hematology/oncology nurse practitioners
- Pediatric hematology/oncology nurse navigators
- Child life specialists
If you would like to make an appointment with one of our neuro-oncology specialists, call 1.800.KIDS DOC (1.800.543.7362).
Pediatric Specialist Directory for Central DuPage Hospital and Delnor Hospital: Find a Pediatric specialist.
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago at Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital and Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital is a collaborative program between Northwestern Memorial HealthCare and Lurie Children's and its affiliated physician groups. The physicians participating in this program are neither agents nor employees of Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital or Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital.
The physicians who practice at the Northwestern Medicine Proton Center are neither agents nor employees of Northwestern Memorial HealthCare or any of its affiliate organizations. These physicians have selected our facilities as the place where they want to treat and care for their private patients.