Proton therapy is an advanced form of radiation treatment that precisely targets brain tumors. There are many benefits of using this advanced treatment technology including:
- Fewer short- and long-term side effects
- Less damage to surrounding healthy tissue
- Reduced likelihood of secondary tumors caused by treatment
- Improved quality of life during and after treatment
- Proton therapy can also treat recurrent tumors, even in children who have already received radiation
The Northwestern Medicine Chicago Proton Center2, located in Chicago’s western suburbs, is the first and only center of its kind in Illinois to offer state-of-the-art proton therapy to fight cancer.
Multidisciplinary team approach
Brain tumors that occur in infants and children are very different from adult brain tumors, both in terms of the type of cells and the responsiveness to treatment. Our specialists provide personalized, comprehensive and compassionate neuro-oncology care for your child, with the collaborative resources of:
- The Northwestern Medicine Chicago Proton Center2: The only member in the Midwest of the Pediatric Brain Tumor Consortium (PBTC)3, a national group helping to diagnose and provide leading-edge care for rare pediatric brain tumors. The Center is also a member of the Children's Oncology Group (COG)3, an internationally recognized group conducting pediatric oncology clinical trials.
- Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago Brain Tumor Board: This multidisciplinary board plays an integral role in the clinical review of all pediatric brain and central nervous system tumors of pediatric patients undergoing treatment at the center.
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago at Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital and Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital is a collaborative program between Northwestern Memorial HealthCare and Lurie Children's and its affiliated physician groups. The physicians participating in this program are neither agents nor employees of Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital or Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital.
The physicians who practice at the Northwestern Medicine Chicago Proton Center are neither agents nor employees of Northwestern Memorial HealthCare or any of its affiliate organizations. These physicians have selected our facilities as the place where they want to treat and care for their private patients.