Pediatric General Surgery
Pediatric General Surgery
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago at Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital and Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital1 gives you convenient access to pediatric general surgeons trained in the latest minimally-invasive techniques to help your child gain or return to a healthy, active life.The general surgeons in the pediatric program have specialized training to treat newborns (neonatal surgery), infants, children and adolescents who need surgery on the head and neck, chest, abdomen and extremities. These pediatric surgeons perform thousands of surgeries annually, including:
- Removal of cysts and tumors from the neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis
- Removal of head and neck masses
- Removal of breast masses
- Correction of chest wall deformities (pectus excavatum and pectus carinatum)
- Treatment for abdominal tumors, malformations of the gastrointestinal tract, hernias, undescended testes, circumcision
- Correction of anal-rectal malformations
- Removal of tumors and cysts of the female genital tract
Many of these procedures are carried out through minimally invasive techniques which can minimize scarring, lessen pain and lead to a speedier recovery for your child.
Most surgical procedures are performed at Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital and may require hospitalization in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) or in the Pediatric Inpatient Unit.
However, many surgical procedures can be performed as an outpatient service. Services provided in the Pediatric Outpatient Center include:
- Diagnostic services, such as lab testing and medical imaging
- Minor procedures
- Post-surgical exam and monitoring
- Same-day surgery
Some minor surgeries can also be performed as part of the Same Day Surgery Program at Central DuPage Hospital. This option is offered to patients who meet specific surgical requirements and is a good option for parents or patients who become anxious while counting down the days until a surgery.
It includes an appointment in the morning to confirm that the patient is eligible for this surgical procedure. If so, the surgery is scheduled for the same day. The Same Day Surgery Program is offered every Friday and once a month on Thursdays at Central DuPage Hospital.
Multidisciplinary team approach
We understand that an integrated, evidence-based approach to care within a child-friendly environment leads to healthy results. That’s why the medical professionals on the pediatric general surgery team share a commitment to collaborative care so that your child gets an accurate diagnosis, improved pain management and prompt, effective treatment. This multidisciplinary team3 includes:
- Lurie Children’s pediatric surgeons, board-certified in general and pediatric surgery
- Pediatric anesthesiologists
- Registered nurses
- Child life specialists