Preventing Urinary Tract Infections
The following lifestyle changes may help reduce your chances of getting a UTI:
- Drinking plenty of water to help eliminate bacteria from the urinary tract
- Avoiding alcohol, coffee and spicy foods.
- Practice good personal hygiene.
- Do not "hold" your urine when you have the urge to urinate, unless directed to do so by your physician when "retraining" your bladder.
- After urinating or defecating, women should wipe from front to back to keep bacteria from the anal area from infecting the vagina or urethra.
- Take showers rather than baths.
- Clean the genital area before and after sex.
- Urinate before and after sex.
- Avoid using feminine hygiene sprays or spermicides.
Please talk with your healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns about UTIs.