View the Family Birth Center
We encourage each mother and her partner to visit the Northwestern Medicine Family Birth Center to familiarize themselves with the unit before the big day arrives. Family Birth Center tours are at 2 pm every Sunday. Tours meet in the Family Birth Center waiting room. It is recommended to call ahead to ensure a nurse is available to give a tour. Please understand that patient safety and care come first and at times, a nurse may not be available or restrictions (influenza) may limit visitation to the Center.
To tour the Family Birth Center at McHenry, call 815.759.4860.
Amenities at the Northwestern Medicine Family Birth Center:
- Spacious rooms
- Use of a luxurious robe
- Bedside spa treatments that include a manicure, massage or mini facial
- After the birth of your baby, the Brahms Lullaby will be heard over the hospital’s paging system
- On-site professional newborn photography company Forever Memories, LLC will have a representative stop by your room to present photography options after delivery
- “At Your Request” room service features an expansive menu for you and your significant other to enjoy
- Bath and body gift set
- Quilted cooler for milk storage
- Expectant mother parking is also available for your convenience throughout pregnancy as well as newborn follow-up visits
- Delicious take-home meal
Being pre-registered saves you a step once you go into labor. Take this opportunity to fill out your pre-registration information online.
We will ask you these questions when arriving at the Northwestern Medicine Family Birth Center to make childbirth as stress free as possible.
- Will you breastfeed your baby?
- What type of pain management do you desire?
- Do you want your son to be circumcised?
- Have you selected a pediatrician?
Also, remember your baby cannot be sent home without a car seat. Please take the time to read the instructions included with the car seat and have it properly installed before it is time to go home.
Every parent hopes for a normal, full-term birth for their child. Some infants, however, may need more help in their first moments to get off to a strong start. That’s where our team can help.
24-hour Coverage by Neonatologists at the McHenry Family Birth Center
The first moments after birth can be critical for stabilizing a premature or fragile infant. That’s why at Northwestern Medicine we are committed to having board-certified neonatologists (pediatricians with special training to care for premature and sick newborns) present in the hospital 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. At Northwestern Medicine, we have partnered with Onsite Neonatal Partners, one of the nation’s leading practices in compassionate, evidence-based neonatal care. Onsite performs the following critically important services for our fragile babies:
- Attendance at births in many situations
- Caring for infants in the special care nursery or intermediate care nursery
- Performing infant exams for healthy, full-term infants at the request of the pediatrician or hospital
- Providing state-mandated newborn hearing screenings
For more information about Onsite Neonatal Partners, please check their website or call 856.782.2212 to discover more about the services they can provide for your infant and to get your insurance and billing information set up.
A Dedicated, Compassionate Team
Many healthcare professionals are involved in the care of sick and/or premature infants. In addition to Onsite’s team of neonatologists, the unit has a specially trained team of care providers dedicated to providing your baby the highest level of specialized care possible. This team includes nurse practitioners, respiratory therapists, specially trained nurses, case managers (social workers), pharmacists, dietitians, hearing screen technicians, and more.
Whether expected or unexpected, the admission of your baby to the special care nursery can be a stressful time: we are here to ease the burden for you. Prenatal consults, nursery tours, and educational sessions are available for you to plan and prepare for your stay. Whether your visit is quick, or if your baby needs some extra time to grow strong, rest reassured that at the family birth centers, you and your family are in good hands.