FY16 Community Benefits Report Overview
For the fiscal year ended August 31, 2015, NMHC sought to improve the health of the communities we serve by:
- Providing more than $747.3 million in community benefit in fiscal year 2016 including charity care, other unreimbursed care, research, education and other community activities;
- Supporting those recently insured under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and Medicaid Expansion by continuing to provide medically necessary healthcare and assisting patients in determining eligibility and understanding coverage and provider networks in the changing face of healthcare;
- Providing $115.6 million in funding for research and medical education in fiscal year 2016, including participating in more than 5,200 clinical research studies and training more than 1,500 medical students, residents and fellows;
- Expanding access to healthcare services through establishment of primary care in the community, partnering with community-based organizations determined to increase access to care, connecting patients with medical homes, underwriting medically necessary diagnostic specialty care, developing targeted programs to help individuals better manage prevalent chronic conditions and supporting volunteer efforts;
- Participating in community-based health initiatives aimed at promoting healthy lifestyles to reduce risk factors for heart disease, stroke, cardiovascular disease and other chronic diseases, promoting maternal child health, addressing mental health and substance abuse, promoting independence in individuals with disabilities and reducing violence.
The Annual Hospital Community Benefits Plan Report is public information, has been filed with the Illinois Attorney General and is available to the public on request from the Illinois Attorney General.
Northwestern Memorial HealthCare (NMHC) is the not-for-profit corporate parent of Northwestern Memorial Hospital (NMH), Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital (LFH), CDH-Delnor Health System (CDHS), Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital (CDH), Medicine Delnor Hospital (DCH), Northwestern Medical Group (NMG), Northwestern Medicine Regional Medical Group (RMG), Northwestern Memorial Foundation (NMF), and other subsidiaries; as of December 1, 2015, KishHealth System (KHS), Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital (KCH), Northwestern Medicine Valley West Hospital (VWH), KishHealth Physician Group (KPG), and other subsidiaries; and as of March 1, 2016, Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital (MJRH), Marianjoy Medical Group (MMG), and other subsidiaries.
NMHC has submitted the FY16 Community Benefits Plan Report on behalf of its subsidiaries for FY16 (September 1, 2015-August 31, 2016.) KHS, VWH and KPG are included in this report from December 1, 2015-August 31, 2016. MJRH and MMG are included in this report from March 1, 2016-August 31, 2016.
Click here to download the NMHC FY16 Community Benefit Report Summary.