Symptoms of Acne
Acne breakouts include a number of different types of blemishes that can appear on different locations on the body. They include:
- Papules (tender, raised bumps)
- Nodules (solid, painful lumps beneath the surface)
- Pustules (pimples that are red on the bottom and have pus on the top)
- Cysts (deep, pus-filled lumps)
- Whiteheads (non-inflamed clogged pores with a white top)
- Blackheads (non-inflamed clogged pores with a top that has turned black from exposure to air)
Often, acne inflammation causes overall redness and tenderness.
As acne progresses, additional symptoms may include dark spots and scars. Early treatment, before acne progresses to cysts and nodules, may prevent the development of severe dark spots and scars.
Acne can appear anywhere on the body, but especially where the skin has a large number of sebaceous glands, including:
- Upper arms