Contact Dermatitis Treatments
Home treatment for contact dermatitis includes thoroughly washing the affected area as soon as possible after the exposure. Wash any clothing or other items that touched the irritant to avoid re-exposure. You can treat symptoms with cold compresses. Avoid contact with the substance that caused the reaction and avoid scratching the affected area.
Your physician may recommend:
- Barrier creams to block further exposure and protect the irritated skin
- Cortisone creams to relieve itching
- Oral medications to relieve itching
- An antibiotic ointment if the rash becomes infected
- Patch testing to identify allergies