What We Treat
Here, we provide patients and referring physicians with information about our program, our experience and what to expect as one of our patients.
Our Program is led by specialist endocrine surgeons who perform comprehensive assessments of endocrine surgical disease, including diseases and tumors of the:
- Thyroid gland
- Parathyroid glands
- Adrenal glands
- GI tract (stomach, intestines)
We welcome patients interested in initial consultations and second opinions. Our clinics are equipped with state-of-the-art ultrasound equipment, so patients can have a complete evaluation of the thyroid and parathyroid glands during their clinic consultations.
To provide the most rapid and accurate assessment of thyroid nodules, all of our physicians perform their own ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsies in the clinic.
Northwestern Medicine endocrine surgeons are specialists accustomed to managing complex surgical problems, such as:
- Thyroid nodules
- Thyroid cancer that has spread to lymph nodes or is recurrent
- Graves’ disease
- Parathyroid cancer
- Adrenal tumors, including those that make hormones
- Pancreas tumors that make hormones such as:
- Neuroendocrine and carcinoid tumors of all types in the abdomen
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia
We approach all of our patients with the goal of providing a minimally invasive solution to their medical condition. The majority of patients who require surgery will qualify for minimally invasive procedures, such as:
- Minimally invasive parathyroid surgery (including surgery under local or twilight anesthesia for selected patients)
- Minimal-incision thyroidectomy (removal of the thyroid)
- Laparoscopic and robotic adrenalectomy (removal of the adrenal gland[s])
Pushing the Boundaries of Medicine
In addition to the care we provide to our patients, our Program team is dedicated to improve the science and technique of treating thyroid and other endocrine surgical disorders, working alongside our colleagues at the Feinberg School of Medicine.
As faculty members of the Feinberg School of Medicine, Drs. Sturgeon, Elaraj, and Yang are actively engaged in providing outstanding, cutting-edge treatment of endocrine surgical disorders today and are working towards new and better ways of addressing these conditions in the future.
The Feinberg School of Medicine has a rich history of basic and clinical science innovation, which our Program both benefits from and contributes to. Scholarly publications from our Endocrine Surgery team are accessible on their faculty profile pages.
- Endocrine Surgery Patient and Symptom Form (PDF): Download, print and complete this form and bring it to your schedule appointment.
- Patient Health History Form (PDF): Download, print and complete this form and bring it to your schedule appointment.
- The National Institutes of Health*: Endocrine system health information
- The National Cancer Institute*: Information on thyroid cancer
- Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association*: Network of services for thyroid cancer survivors