Diverticular Disease Treatments
If you have diverticulosis, your physician may recommend avoiding the inflammation of diverticulitis by:
- Eating a diet high in fiber, especially plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Staying well hydrated
- Getting lots of exercise
- Taking a fiber supplement
If you have a diverticulitis attack, treatment may include:
- Medication: Your physician may recommend medication to control pain and spasms, and antibiotics to fight infection.
- Dietary adjustments: A liquid diet may be necessary to let your bowel rest, followed by a bland diet.
- Intravenous (IV) antibiotics and fluids: Some patients may require IV fluids in the hospital to treat severe diverticulosis symptoms.
- Surgery: In rare cases, surgery to remove the section of bowel with repeated diverticulitis may be recommended.