What is a Level 4 Epilepsy Center?
Why Choose a Level 4 Epilepsy Center
The National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC) has designated Northwestern Memorial Hospital a Level 4 Comprehensive Epilepsy Center.
The NAEC gives this designation to institutions that can provide patients with more advanced forms of diagnosis and treatment. This may include:
- In-depth ways to diagnose and monitor epilepsy.
- Comprehensive treatment options with a multidisciplinary approach, including teams in neurology, epileptology, neuropsychology and more.
- Evaluation for a wide range of epilepsy surgeries, including responsive neurostimulation.
According to guidelines from the NAEC, patients should be referred to or seek care at a Level 3 or 4 Comprehensive Epilepsy Center if:
- Their seizures have not resolved after three months of care from a primary care clinician.
- Their seizures have not resolved after 12 months of care from a general neurologist.
If this is the case for you or a loved one, you should seek care at an NAEC-designated Level 3 or Level 4 Comprehensive Epilepsy Center.