Specialists and Care Centers
Kidney Transplantation Specialists and Care Centers
Northwestern Memorial Hospital continues to be the largest and most successful transplant program in Illinois and one of the largest in the Midwest, performing more than 4,000 transplants since the program’s inception and 174 kidney transplants in 2015 alone.
Additionally, Northwestern Memorial Hospital is the largest living donor kidney transplant program in Illinois and one of the larger programs in the country, performing 86 living donor kidney transplants in 2015 and more than 300 over the last three years.
Transplant patient and graft outcomes continue to be excellent and compare favorably with local, regional and national outcomes. View our center-specific performance data2 as well as data of other centers.
Benefits of our comprehensive kidney transplant program include:
- One of only a handful of centers in the country offering ABO-incompatible transplantation
- One of a few transplant centers in the country investigating new therapies to help wean transplant recipients off immunosuppressant drugs
- A leader in kidney paired donation, a possible solution for donor and recipient pairs who are not compatible with each other
- One of the world’s most experienced centers for steroid-free kidney transplantation
- One of the nation’s leading centers for laparoscopic kidney procedures
- Satellite outreach clinics providing transplant evaluation services closer to home
- Hispanic Transplant Program offering a culturally sensitive approach to patient care
- Innovative methods to get patients home sooner
- Integration with the pancreas and islet transplant programs for combined transplants for renal disease and type 1 diabetes patients
- Transplant coordinator
- Social worker
Satellite outreach clinics
In addition to the downtown campus, we are available to see your patients at any one of our six kidney transplant outreach clinics, including:
- Peoria: Serving central and southern Illinois
- Glenview: Serving the northern and northwestern suburbs
- Joliet: Serving the southern and southwestern suburbs
- Winfield: Serving the western and northwestern suburbs
- Aurora: Serving the western and northwestern suburbs
- Portage, Indiana: Serving northern Indiana and southwest Michigan
Our focus on community outreach benefits patients and their physicians by providing many of the pre-kidney transplant services close to home, convenient accessibility and the experience that affords our patients the opportunity for a successful kidney transplant. We are available to see the following types of patients in the outreach clinics:
- Complex kidney disease patients requiring consultation or second opinion
- Potential kidney transplant candidates
- Patients on the Northwestern Memorial Hospital kidney transplant waiting list
New medical treatments and clinical trials
As a premier academic medical center, Northwestern Memorial Hospital and its collaborative partner Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine are committed to the advancement of healthcare through clinical innovation, medical education and scientific research.
Our physicians participate in a wide range of clinical trials to improve the treatment of patients with kidney disease. Our kidney transplant team is currently enrolling patients into two stem cell-based therapies (HLA identical and HLA disparate) designed to wean kidney recipients off immunosuppression. These exciting and novel approaches are available to all patients with a living donor who meet study criteria. We have presented our results at national and international meetings and have published them in high-impact journals.
Finances and insurance
The Kovler Organ Transplantation Center at Northwestern Memorial Hospital has contracts with many insurance groups, including many of the national transplant networks, to provide transplant services to their members. We also have a dedicated transplant financial coordinator who is available to help you with billing and insurance matters and assist you in obtaining pre-authorization for transplant surgery and transplant-related procedures. Our transplant financial coordinator works with private insurance carriers as well as Medicare and Medicaid and is an advocate for you and your family to help you navigate through the complex insurance process.