Child Life Specialists
Child life specialists are a valuable resource for children and parents alike. These trained specialists assist children in the hospital through play and self-expressive activities. Parents also benefit from the information provided by the child life specialists regarding a variety of concerns, issues and hurdles associated with a serious pediatric illness or chronic condition.
Camps for kids
Much like most young people, children and teens suffering from serious medical conditions can oftentimes benefit from the fun and structured activities found at a camp for kids. Yet finding the right fit for your child can be difficult. Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago at Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital and Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital1 can lend a hand with some helpful tips and a list of special needs camps that may be appropriate for your child.
Educational resources for parents
Educational resources will help you learn about your child's condition.
- Kids Health: Website dedicated to children's health and development including guides to injuries, illnesses and nutrition.
- Healthy Children: This is the parenting website for the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Fussy Baby Network: Offers a variety of resources for new parents.
Pre-op Adventure tours
Surgery can be a difficult time for parents and children. Pre-op Adventure tours at Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital or Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital are designed to help alleviate any fears that you, your child or other family members may have about the surgical experience. The Pre-op Adventure tour also gives you the opportunity to ask questions, interact with the staff and to visit the surgical areas prior to the day of surgery.
This fun activity helps children feel more at ease on the day of their surgery. Our knowledgeable staff is here to make the surgical experience as pleasant as possible for you and your child. The tour includes:
- A visit to the pediatric area of the Same Day Surgery Unit
- A video depicting a child’s same-day surgery experience
- A chance to handle hospital equipment
- A time for questions
Pre-op Adventures should be scheduled as soon as you know your child is having surgery. If the surgery is scheduled on short notice or if your child is under the age of 3, we will make every effort to accommodate a private adventure for your child.
To schedule a Pre-op Adventure at Central DuPage Hospital or Delnor Hospital, please call the Central DuPage Hospital and Delnor Hospital Information and Physician Referral at 630.933.4234, TTY 711.
- Pediatric Specialist Directory for Central DuPage Hospital and Delnor Hospital: Find a Pediatric specialist.
- Aging with Dignity: This booklet serves as a tool for discussion with children under the age 18 to consider their wishes related to their own medical care and treatment.
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago at Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital and Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital is a collaborative program between Northwestern Memorial HealthCare and Lurie Children's and its affiliated physician groups. The physicians participating in this program are neither agents nor employees of Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital or Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital.