Interventional pulmonary medicine is an advanced subspecialty of pulmonary medicine that focuses on the minimally invasive diagnostic and therapeutic approach to both malignant and nonmalignant lung diseases.
The Interventional Pulmonary and Lung Nodule Program at Northwestern Memorial Hospital combines advanced clinical practice with state-of-the-art technology for the diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of lung diseases in the complex airway and pleural space, including:
- Lung nodules and masses
- Abnormal chest lymph nodes
- Pleural diseases
Multidisciplinary team approach
Our program specialists are active members of the Northwestern University Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Multidisciplinary Lung Cancer program and work in close collaboration with physicians from diverse disciplines, including
Interventional pulmonologists also work collaboratively with physicians specializing in:
- Otolaryngology (ear, nose and throat)
- Emergency medicine
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Speech therapy
Interventional pulmonology is also used to treat benign (non-cancerous) diseases of the central airway, including:
- Tracheobronchomalacia: Weakening and/or collapse of the bronchial cartilage
- Tracheal or subglottic stenosis: Narrowing of these regions of the airway
- Relapsing polychondritis: Inflammation of bronchial cartilage
- Amyloidosis: So-called “bad proteins” that can accumulate in a region of the body
- Tracheobronchial papillomatosis: Human papillomavirus infection in the airway
- Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis: A condition that interferes with ability to take in oxygen because of blockage of the alveoli
- Wegener’s granulomatosis: Inflammation of blood vessels of the lungs, nose, kidneys and other organs
Our program also actively participates in clinical trials designed to bring new novel and innovative treatments and procedures to the forefront of the field.
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago at Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital and Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital is a collaborative program between Northwestern Memorial HealthCare and Lurie Children's and its affiliated physician groups. The physicians participating in this program are neither agents nor employees of Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital or Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital.