Patients are typically referred to us by their physician if imaging shows lung nodules, or “spots,” or enlarged lymph nodes in the chest. These findings can have many causes and may not necessarily be cancerous. We also see patients who are looking for a second opinion after having imaging and consulting with another physician.
To avoid any delay in care, our multidisciplinary team of specialists in pulmonology, interventional pulmonology, thoracic surgery and thoracic radiology work together closely to evaluate your lung findings and identify the next best step. We are highly experienced in providing detailed recommendations, state-of-the-art diagnostic techniques and thorough follow-up plans to help ensure our patients receive excellent medical care.
What to Expect
- One of our nurse clinician coordinators will speak to you to schedule your appointment. You can expect your first appointment to be within two weeks of your referral.
- If you had any prior scans outside of Northwestern Medicine, we will request those imaging studies to be sent to us prior to your appointment so our physicians can review them in advance. This will make your visit as efficient and informative as possible.
- Based on your imaging, you will be matched to a specialist who can best carry out a plan that is most suitable for your needs. This may include a follow-up CT scan or a diagnostic intervention. You will meet with that specialist during your appointment.
- At the conclusion of your appointment, you will be informed of the follow-up plan in detail.
- Many lung nodules need continued surveillance over time, or “watchful waiting.” Occasionally, additional noninvasive testing is needed. If this was recommended to you, you and your physician will discuss how frequently you will need to return, and our team will help you set up the necessary follow-up imaging and appointments.
- Some imaging may suggest the need for a minimally invasive biopsy or surgery to determine a diagnosis. Your physician will work with you to determine the best procedure based on your imaging and personal needs.
- If a cancer diagnosis is confirmed, we can expedite referrals to the Thoracic Oncology Program at Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
- If you ever need to change a follow-up scan or appointment, please notify our clinic.