Better Wheelchair Use
Our clinicians work as a team to recommend and design custom devices to meet your unique wheelchair needs.
Equipment that fits correctly is a key part of your rehabilitation. Customized seating and positioning system can:
- Improve your functional abilities, posture, mobility and independence.
- Protect your skin.
- Make you more comfortable.
- Improve your physical functions, such as breathing, digestion, swallowing and bowel management.
- Increase your muscle tone and your ability to manage spasticity.
- Reduce the progression of any orthopaedic deformities.
What to Expect
On your first visit to the Wheelchair and Positioning Center, a clinician will evaluate your needs and goals. During the evaluation, you can try different devices. Our clinicians can help you navigate the process of buying and repairing your assistive technology products.
Most insurance carriers need prior authorization for an assistive device. Prior authorization is when an insurance carrier needs to approve a device or medical service before you receive it. Therapists at Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital can help you complete the documentation you need for prior authorization. They can also help you if you have issues getting the recommended devices or services. If needed, clinicians can refer you for other assistive devices, or therapy or evaluations by a Northwestern Medicine physiatrist.
After your insurance carrier agrees to cover the device, you will come back to the Wheelchair and Positioning Center for a final fitting and delivery of the equipment. To make sure that the equipment is comfortable and safe, therapists will help you learn how to use the equipment. They will also customize the device to your specific needs.
You should come back to the Wheelchair and Positioning Center for re-evaluations to make sure the device is meeting your needs. The center will also adjust your equipment as needed.
Services at the Wheelchair and Positioning Center
- A comprehensive evaluation of your seating, positioning and mobility needs for:
- Manual wheelchairs
- Power wheelchairs
- Power-assist systems
- Stroller systems
- Standing frames
- Transfer, feeding and bathing systems
- Pressure mapping
- Adjustments to your current wheelchair and seating system
- Creation of custom seating systems
- Wheelchair assessment, trial and training
- Addition of communication or environmental control devices to your seating and positioning device
You must have a physician order for a physical therapy evaluation to schedule an appointment at the Wheelchair and Positioning Center. For more information, or to schedule an appointment, please call 630.909.7150.