Northwestern Memorial Hospital Preoperative Clinic
Our mission at the Northwestern Memorial Hospital Preoperative Clinic is to make sure every patient is prepared for surgery or any procedure requiring anesthesia. Our team of anesthesiologists, advanced practice providers, nurses and support staff care for more than 15,000 patients each year. Our providers review each patient’s medical records, ensure the appropriate tests are completed and coordinate the necessary steps to confirm that the patient is ready for surgery. We also make sure that all necessary information is available for your surgeon and the anesthesia care team on the day of surgery.
Patients who are scheduled to have surgery or a procedure requiring anesthesia should undergo an evaluation first.
For your convenience, the Northwestern Memorial Hospital Preoperative Clinic manages all of your health information and any pre-procedure testing in one location, which helps ensure that you and your care team are ready for your surgery or procedure.
What to Bring to Your Preoperative Clinic Visit
- Your current medical insurance card
- Medicare card (if you have Medicare)
- A photo ID
- A complete, up-to-date list of all current medications, herbal supplements and over-the-counter medicines (or all your medication bottles) with the following information:
- Medication dose
- How often you are taking the medication
- The reason you are taking the medication
Preparing for Your Appointment at the Preoperative Clinic
You may eat, drink and take your medications according to your normal schedule before a preoperative exam or test unless advised otherwise by your surgeon. Your visit at the Preoperative Clinic will last approximately 60 to 90 minutes depending on which tests or studies you may need.
On the day of your visit, you will receive detailed information on:
- How to prepare for your surgery, including medication and dietary instructions
- What to expect the day before your surgery
- What to expect the morning of your surgery
To schedule an appointment call 312.926.4566 or call 312.926.4343 if you have questions for the Northwestern Memorial Hospital Preoperative Clinic.