NMH Nursing Strategic Plan
Nursing Strategic Plan
Nursing’s strategic plan reflects our vision for advancing nursing excellence in alignment with the goals and objectives of Northwestern Medicine.
Northwestern Memorial Hospital is part of an academic medical center where the patient comes first. We are an organization of caregivers who aspire to consistently high standards of quality, cost-effectiveness and patient satisfaction.
We seek to improve the health of the communities we serve by delivering a broad range of services with sensitivity to the individual needs of our patients and their families. We are bonded in an essential academic and service relationship with the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
Our vision is to be the hospital of choice in our region, recognized as having the most satisfied patients, the best possible clinical quality and outcomes, and the best physicians and employees.
An important part of our vision is to be, with the Feinberg School of Medicine of Northwestern University, a nationally acclaimed academic medical center.
The plan for advancing nursing excellence at Northwestern Memorial Hospital focuses on the following core goals and objectives:
- Lead with a proven care delivery model that is patient- and family-centered, represents “the best practice” nationally and showcases the power of quality/safety and interprofessional collaboration
- Implement quality initiatives that inform, drive action and tie to individual performance improvement
- Practice to the fullest extent of their expertise across the entire care continuum, acknowledged as a valued and respected professional
- Build a community of partnerships to deliver care that responds to the unique needs of diverse groups
- Advance a rich culture of inquiry that encourages evidence-based practice and leads to the further creation and dissemination of new knowledge
- Access, synthesize and apply information available from an array of sources to develop critical thinking skills and direct nursing care in real time
- Create nationally recognized programs and processes for leadership development, shared decision-making and clinical excellence
- Enable both a mentoring and challenging environment that sets the standard for the nursing profession, one that welcomes diversity, fosters excellence through professional practice and career development and encourages lifelong learning and well-being
- Continue to articulate, evolve and develop the nurse’s role in the new era that seeks to redefine value in healthcare
- Achieve exemplary levels of education and specialty certification beneficial to patients and in reaching professional development milestones
- Demonstrate interpersonal competency that enhances interprofessional collaboration and demonstrates best practices in patient- and family-centered care