NMH Nursing Strategic Plan
Nursing Strategic Plan
Nursing’s strategic plan reflects our vision for advancing nursing excellence in alignment with the goals and objectives of Northwestern Medicine.
Northwestern Memorial Hospital is part of an academic medical center where the patient comes first. We are an organization of caregivers who aspire to consistently high standards of quality, cost-effectiveness and patient satisfaction.
We seek to improve the health of the communities we serve by delivering a broad range of services with sensitivity to the individual needs of our patients and their families. We are bonded in an essential academic and service relationship with the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. The quality of our services is enhanced through their integration with education and research in an environment that encourages excellence of practice, critical inquiry and learning.
Our vision is to be the hospital of choice in our region, recognized as having the most satisfied patients, the best possible clinical quality and outcomes, and the best physicians and employees.
An important part of our vision is to be, with the Feinberg School of Medicine of Northwestern University, a nationally acclaimed academic medical center.
The plan for advancing nursing excellence at Northwestern Memorial Hospital focuses on the following core goals and objectives:
- Lead with an interprofessional relationship based care model that represents evidence-based practice, achieves exemplary levels of quality, safety and patient experience, and supports patient care transitions
- Define and implement an interprofessional relationship based care model by operationalizing the Northwestern Medicine Interprofessional Relationship Based Care (NM IRBC) practice model across the organization and rolling out and embedding the NM IRBC practice model across the organization
- Create strategies for coordination of care across the care continuum by piloting and evaluating roles, care models and pathways to support patient care
- Advance a rich culture of inquiry that encourages innovation resulting in the creation of evidence-based practice and dissemination of new outcomes-based knowledge
- Champion the nurses’ curiosity by increasing the number of nurse-led research studies and nurse-led performance improvement projects
- Advance nursing’s local and national reputation by increasing the number of professional publications and the number of presentations at local, regional, national and international venues, promoting active involvement in professional organizations and increasing tracking of nursing awards
- Enable an environment that sets the standard for the nursing profession, one that welcomes diversity, fosters excellence through collaborative professional and interprofessional practice and career development, and encourages lifelong learning and well being
- Embrace inclusivity by identifying gaps in inclusivity within nursing at NMH, establishing a plan to address gaps in inclusivity and partnering with campus experts on inclusivity
- Enhance a culture of professional excellence by advancing specialty certification and creating and embedding a professional development pathway
- Foster resilience in personal wellbeing by promoting strategies for self-reflection at all levels of nursing and exploring opportunities for support of self and colleagues within the NM IRBC practice model