A Year That Changed The World [Infographic]
Published March 2021
Reflecting on the COVID-19 Pandemic
In 2020, life changed across the globe.
Though initially discovered in Wuhan, China, in late 2019, COVID-19 entered the national conversation in the U.S. in January 2020, when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) alerted the nation of the outbreak abroad. Later that month, the first national case of COVID-19 was reported in Washington state, and then the virus made its way to Chicago.
The outbreak escalated quickly from there, during a period of uncertainty about how the virus was transmitted, how quickly it could spread and how much of a threat it was to public health.
By March 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) had declared COVID-19 a global health emergency and named the virus "severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2" or "SARS-CoV-2." It was also in March that WHO officially declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic.A year later, Northwestern Medicine looks back, outlining the moments that are important to remember as well as those that will never be forgotten.
To take a closer look back, we invite you to read through our COVID-19 content, with some key moments outlined below:
- A City-Wide Mobilization to Protect the Community
- Technology Enhances Safety
- Northwestern Scientists Transform Lab for COVID-19 Testing
- Northwestern Medicine Addresses Food Insecurity
- Continuing Care in the Community Amidst COVID-19
- Personal Protective Equipment Keeps The Boulevard in Business
- Give to The COVID-19 Relief Fund at Northwestern Medicine
- One-Step Diagnostic Tool Receives NSF RAPID Grant
- Monitoring COVID-19 From Hospital to Home: First Wearable Device Continuously Tracks Key Symptoms
- Northwestern Team Develops New Antibody Test for COVID-19
- COVID-19 Drug Trial Launches at Northwestern Medicine
- Antibody Testing Research Receives NSF RAPID grant
- Double-Lung Transplant Saves Patient After COVID-19
- Offering a Community Health Partnership Between Clergy and Northwestern Medicine Physicians
- Northwestern Launches COVID-19 Registry for Vaccine Trials
- Education and Community for Patients Recovering From COVID-19
- Meet the Two COVID-19 Patients Who Received Double-Lung Transplants at Northwestern Medicine
- Wearable COVID-19 Sensor Receives Major Award from U.S. Department of Defense
- Northwestern Joins #MaskUp Campaign
- Northwestern Medicine COVID-19 Vaccination Plan
- Infectious Disease Specialist Answers Your COVID-19 Vaccine Questions
- Clinic Addresses Neurological Effects of COVID-19
- Comprehensive COVID-19 Center Launches at Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Why I Got Vaccinated
- Northwestern Health Care Providers Protest Racism in Quiet but Powerful Moment