Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital is a wonderful place for your labor and delivery. From the moment you arrive, you’ll have skilled services and options in care to make your childbirth experience comfortable and personal. Services include:
Your OB/GYN physician can provide a preconception exam to assess your total health, find and manage risks that could complicate pregnancy, help you adopt a healthy lifestyle and add vitamins critical for a baby’s development.
If you have certain risk factors for genetic disorders, you’ll have access to leading-edge genetic counseling. Board-certified genetic counselors help you learn about inherited disorders, identify your risks and guide you through a personalized plan for your pregnancy.
Learn more about prenatal genetic testing.
Comprehensive prenatal care
In addition to meeting your needs for prenatal care, Delnor Hospital offers a host of perinatal resources including programs and classes to keep you healthy, informed and prepared for pregnancy, childbirth and parenthood.
For peace of mind, maternal fetal specialists are here to care for any complications that arise. And certified diabetes educators can help you control issues related to gestational diabetes.
A personal childbirth plan
The specialists at Delnor Hospital want to create a personal, memorable childbirth experience for you and your family. As your delivery draws near, consider your preferences for family participation, pain management and breastfeeding, so your care team can help provide the experience that’s right for you.
Being pre-registered saves you a step once you go into labor. Take this opportunity to fill out your pre-registration information and review our pregnancy guide.
High-comfort, high-tech birthing suites
When it’s time for your baby’s arrival, you’ll settle into a private, homelike labor-delivery-recovery suite equipped with the latest technology. Experienced labor and delivery nurses offer the care and support you need through every stage of childbirth, and maternal fetal specialists are standing by to handle any complications.
Pain management options
During labor, you’ll have a variety of pain-relief options, including natural methods as well as medications and anesthesia (typically an epidural) administered by anesthesiologists, who are available on site 24/7.
The specialists at Delnor Hospital are fully prepared to handle multiple births (such as twins, triplets or quads) and emergency cesarean deliveries. For added assurance, an obstetrician, anesthesiologist and neonatologist are on site 24/7 to meet your needs. In addition, the Level II-E NICU at Delnor is staffed by more than 140 board-certified pediatric specialists from Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago1.
After baby arrives
After your baby arrives, the specialists at Delnor Hospital are here to help make this precious time as personal and memorable as possible. You can expect:
- Excellent nursing care: Once you have moved to your private postpartum suite, your mother-baby nursing team will care for you for the remainder of your stay. Nurses at Delnor Hospital are dedicated to your total comfort and personal care—an approach that has earned some of the highest patient satisfaction scores in the nation2.
- Personal choices, advanced resources: We encourage you to have your baby stay with you in your room. All of your baby’s care can be provided in your room, and you may participate in the care as much as you wish. Should you require some quiet time to rest and recover from delivery, the nursery is available 24/7 to provide care for your baby. Your nurse will be able to assist you with any of your individual needs. Newborns needing high-level medical care stay in the Special Care Nursery. (Special Care Nursery) You may have visitors any time of the day or night, or you can also choose to limit your visitors. Simply let your mother-baby nurse know your preference.
- Breastfeeding support: Certified lactation consultants are here to provide education, resources and ongoing support to help you have a successful breastfeeding experience. Learn about our lactation services.
- Infant security: Keeping your baby safe is a top priority at Delnor Hospital. Your baby will receive an infant protection electronic tag that is designed to trigger an alarm if the baby is taken past the unit’s security doors.
- Bringing baby home: Illinois law requires that all infants travel in a safety-approved car seat. Please make sure your baby has an approved car seat for that first ride home. Delnor Hospital offers certified safety inspectors to check your baby’s car seat for proper installation. Call 630.208.3398 to schedule an appointment. TTY for hearing impaired 630.933.4833.
- A beautiful picture of your baby: To capture those first precious moments with your baby, Delnor Hospital arranges for professional photos of your newborn to be taken in the comfort of your hospital room.
- Bella Baby®: Talented photographers create beautiful baby pictures that you can cherish forever. You can access your Bella Baby® photos online for 14 days by using a protected password. Share your password with select friends and family members who wish to view or order photos of your baby by using a protected password.
Delnor Special Care Nursery
If your baby needs special medical attention after birth, high-level resources are just steps away at the Delnor Special Care Nursery (SCN). To better serve you and your baby's needs, neonatologists and neonatal nurse practitioners from Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago3 provide round-the-clock, on-site coverage for the Special Care Nursery and delivery services at Delnor Hospital.
The SCN is designated as a Level II-E nursery with extended capabilities by the State of Illinois. That means the SCN is fully equipped to care for low birth weight infants (2 pounds, 12 ounces or greater), premature infants (30 or more weeks gestation) and infants on mechanical ventilators. In addition to the neonatologists, your baby will receive quality care from a team of nurses and other health professionals with advanced training in intensive care treatment for newborns.
Learn more about the Delnor Special Care Nursery.